PSA: Maintenance notices / website updates

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: PSA: Maintenance notices / website updates

Post by Peter »

1)
Well, Pale Moon is... a unique browser. It's a one man project by a single guy. He was modifying Firefox in the past (copied source code of the original one, then ESR, and just made changes to it.) But then Firefox just progressed further and he was forced to fork it entirely. Meaning he is trying to maintain an entire browser interface AND engine by himself. Which is quite impossible.

- You can install the latest Firefox, or Firefox ESR (whichever you prefer) binary on Linux, you just download it and run. No need to even "install it" so to say.
- You can install / use Vivaldi browser. (Love that thing.)
- You can install Opera (not really a fan but some love it)
- You can install Chromium browser (Chrome without the Google stuff), if you are privacy concious.

Pick your poison. :P

As you can see I changed the theme, not sure if it's any better. But I also added a dozen other themes so people can pick one. Some look quite funky but have big fonts.

2) Yea we won't change anytime soon I think. It's very costly anyway.

3) I'll check the spam thing now. Not sure what they run, the Akismet plugin is outdated now and well I couldn't find anything else either. To be fair this manual queue is great, but indeed we'd need a limit to it. I tried to find a solution a while ago - without luck.

4) This theme has CODE option now, but uh, yea you will use "Creamy" anyway I think. :)

4..again, haha) Will check that.

5) I just approved your post, I think that caused the problem cause it was like "stuck in the middle".
Drugwash

Post by Drugwash »

Hehe, I've edited the comment above as there was a reply notification but couldn't see your comment. Now I saw it.
I've used Pale Moon under WinXP for a few years prior to switching to Linux. It is lighter than Firefox. I know a few things about the effort required and all that. The Linux versionis also a contributor effort, which is appreciated.

Thing is, the new Firefox is completely unusable to me. All the add-ons that I was used to do not exist anymore or are lousy versions of what once was. Even NoScript is a joke now, I can't wrap my head around it (it's installed by default in Tor, which I just started using a couple days ago for a comparison). The interface is ugly and unintuitive to me. BTW, I did try Firefox earlier on this board (it's installed by default in Linux Mint) and the issues were the same as in Pale Moon.

As for the other browsers... same thing applies: don't have what I need and are too resource hungry. Anyway, since latest Firefox - with no add-ons whatsoever - behaved the same as Pale Moon I'd say it's safe to assume that the problem is not the browser.

Now, about the theme. I saw the change and it looks more... "normal", if the word still bears any significance as to the old ways. And as mentioned in the edit above, now I can see the screenshot image and was able to edit the comment so it's an improvement. However I can't see a place - button, link, dropdown list etc - where themes can be switched, for testing purposes. I tried with Firefox too (logged in) and still no theme switch available. Maybe this theme doesn't have a button/link/whatever.

The code option was there before and still is, but I'm referring to inline code which allows certain character combinations to be displayed in line with the text, as is instead of being web-encoded, and also creates a strict, visible separation - through different font face and different background color - between casual text and commands, names or other kind of text, thus eliminating any possible confusion. It would look like [c]testing text in code tags[/c].

Yeah, probably trying to edit a yet unapproved comment would create the 'nonexistent post' situation. Which can be quite a drag when trying to fix typos or adding/deleting content after it was posted.

The forced log out also happened when I tried to open a new tab for the User Control Panel in order to check for theme-related options, and a few minutes later when trying to navigate through UPC tabs and options. So it's not only happening while composing and posting (or trying a preview). Curiously, it doesn't happen in Firefox, at least not for post preview. But it also doesn't happen in Pale Moon on the Linux Mint board. Could be a bug in Pale Moon or some add-on acting up. Oh well, let's leave this one alone.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Yea this theme is still very unreadable... Hmm hmm. Guess I'll go back to prosilver and fix the breadcrumbs and also allow custom themes.
Today tried to fix the issues but time ran out. Hoping to fix everything ASAP.
Drugwash

Post by Drugwash »

Hopefully it won't be too much work, you probably have other things to do too. Thank you for listening and good luck! 8)
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

I have fixed the breadcrumbs by manually applying the changes from Git (3.3.1rc1). It was just way too annoying for me.
I'll just revert changes + install update once it comes out.
Drugwash

Post by Drugwash »

Hopefully the official update won't screw things up further. They don't make programmers as they used to anymore... ::)
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

The forum had a tiny rollback due to the new update being messed up. We'll wait until they release a proper update package and then do the update.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

- phpbb has been updated.
- mysql has been tuned.
- anti-spam has been enabled (SFS). this is a test. we hope it'll work.
post queue is now 0, but we may raise it to 1 again if we get bombarded.
- server os will be updated soon.
Drugwash

Post by Drugwash »

There seems to be some problem with the MySQL server. When attempting to log out a minute ago I got this error:
General_Error_-_2020-10-14_14.15.37.png
General_Error_-_2020-10-14_14.15.37.png (12.61 KiB) Viewed 6396 times
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Haha, yeah, the previous mysql accepted the tuned variables the new one does not. It should be fixed now.
Thank you for the heads up!
Drugwash

Post by Drugwash »

Yep, it's fixed (for now :) ).
That was fast! 8)
You're welcome.

EDIT:
There still is an issue with automatic returning to the topic after submitting a post. Page is blank, refresh doesn't do anything. Bad link...?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

test2

weeell, it should be good now. had to wipe cache + reinstall some packages for PHP (due to the os upgrade).
Drugwash

Post by Drugwash »

Let me check...
Drugwash

Post by Drugwash »

Uhm yeah, it does return now but to the very first post in the thread, not to the latest (own freshly submitted) as all boards usually do. Link lacks post number (which should be generated on-the-fly I presume).
But I just tested and it still doesn't work even when post number is manually added to the link
( i.e. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5686&p=34768 )
Could be browser's fault partly, but I also tested with Falkon (Chromium-based) and with post number attached it does go to the right page but doesn't scroll down to the selected post.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

There are some quirks with phpbb 3.3.1 as well. Hopefully, 3.3.2 will come soon enough to fix those.
This post queue also drives me mad. Been disabled but the engine will not respect the setting. Amazing.