how to setup qbittorrent for private torrent tracker sites

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
pio

how to setup qbittorrent for private torrent tracker sites

Post by pio »

How to setup QbitTorrent? My IP changes constantly, provider's fault. I am using a live linux distro since my HDD failed. Clean install every time. QbitTorrent works fine this way with public torrent trackers. But how do private trackers work? How is my local qbittorrent client associated with my username on the site? And finally, how do private trackers track my upload/download ratio? I am not that interested in downloading files. I am more interested in uploading and seeding my own files. The DMCA take-downs have made older stuff difficult to get. I am not trying to do this out of generosity. The books, movies, music I have stored in an external HDD were once available online, not anymore. My idea is to seed them again and sort of spread them around so to increase the chance of finding them later in case my external HDD fails. I am having trouble figuring this out: configure the client to create and seed torrents with private trackers. Thanks. Much obliged.
Fuga
Veteran
Veteran

Re: how to setup qbittorrent for private torrent tracker sites

Post by Fuga »

The 'private' sites I know about imbed a personal passkey into the .torrent file you download from the site. It is that passkey that is tracked, not your IP.

Now sites do check your IP when logging in to the sites themselves.
postcd

Post by postcd »

Most of torrent clients allows to create torrent and add custom trackers. Private tracker will give you the right tracker address to use. As said, it will include passkey (unique string) on the end of the URL which will pair your sharing with the private tracker so they permit connection with other people on same tracker and discover how much you seed/download to estimate your ratio.

If you have good setup (good VPN with killswitch), i think you can get better exposure of your files by submitting to public trackers and by sharing the files using DC (see EiskaltDC).
Deathgiver500

Post by Deathgiver500 »

Hello I am trying to download one of my own torrents that I created roughly a month ago on qbittorrent I also put it on my drive but for some reason the torrent is private and won't let me download it can someone help with this anything given is appreciated
postcd

Post by postcd »

Deathgiver500 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:07 pmtorrent is private and won't let me download it
you need to wait for a seeder
Deathgiver500

Post by Deathgiver500 »

postcd wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:56 pm
Deathgiver500 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:07 pmtorrent is private and won't let me download it
you need to wait for a seeder
I did but nothing happens I never put seeders on is there anyway to get my files back these are really important
postcd

Post by postcd »

Deathgiver500 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:10 pmI never put seeders on is there anyway to get my files back these are really important
I am unsure what do you mean by "not put seeders", if no one downloaded or not seeding, you can not download. You have to restore backup or try file recovery utilities like Recuva, Undelete Plus.