Mac developer?

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
bluecar

Mac developer?

Post by bluecar »

Any chance Chris wants to pick up Mac builds again?

bluecar
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mac developer?

Post by Nemo »

We actually had someone called wowzaman12 providing Mac builds but he seems inactive lately, last visit was from December 15.
bluecar

Post by bluecar »

Yes, he was very helpful when he was here but it looks like he's moved on.  That's why I was hoping maybe Chris would return...
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Yes, I fully agree mate :). I would love to see up to date Mac builds for all of you Mac users too.
Seedthis

Post by Seedthis »

yes wowzaman12 aka Zach Thibeau. He also contributed to other apps on OS X like VBA-M (GBA emulator). I was "hackintoshing" and went into OS X Mavericks testing lately but well, we're still limited to qBt 3.1.3. Although µTorrent is well-developped and integrated to the OS (notification center and the like), it's a pain in the butt to add torrents one by one and being unable to mass relocate torrents files if you have many of them. qBt has the batch add torrents through WebUI, an invaluable asset if you deal with many torrents...
littletree76

Post by littletree76 »

Lately I have been trying to replace aged Mac version of uTorrent 1.9.1 with qBittorrent 3.1.9 by compiling source in Mac OS 10.9.2 with latest version of Xcode 5.1
with its corresponding Command Line Tools and Unix porting frame work such as MacPorts or Homebrew. Initial I was using Homebrew and the resultant qBittorrent 3.1.9 crashed frequently so I remove Homebrew installation completely and replaced it with Macports. Finally I am able to compile latest qBittorrent 3.1.9 from the released source and test drive successfully with four downloads of huge files with good bandwidth (above 2 MB/s with 100 Mbps broadband Internet connection) and without any crash. Followings are what I have done:

-- Install latest version of Command Line Tools (under folder /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools) either within Xcode available from Mac App Store (see Preferences > Downloads in Xcode) or by downloading installer from Apple developer site: https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action (requires free developer account registration)

-- Install MacPorts according to following comprehensive guide: http://guide.macports.org

Use the default root folder /opt/local for Unix package installation and avoid using /usr/local folder to separate different installations for the same Unix packages. Which version of executables and libraries in use can be controlled through PATH environment variable in any Unix shell. By the way, MacPorts does not support and warn users against using /usr/local as root folder for Unix package installation. Make sure you read section 2.6.1 "The Postfight Script" on setting environment variables properly.

-- Download compressed archive file for latest source distribution version 3.1.9 of qBittorrent and follow instructions in this site to compile it on Mac: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... SX-systems

Note the command line sequence: "sudo port install qt4-mac libtorrent-rasterbar" did not work for me and I have to port all required Unix packages through MacPorts in separate command lines as follows:
sudo port install qt4-mac
sudo port install libtorrent-rasterbar
sudo port install pkgconfig

Use command line "port installed" to confirm installation of all required Unix packages. Dependencies among these Unix packages are taken care by MacPorts frame work, thus there should be more than three Unix packages installed. Be patient as downloading, compilation and installation of these Unix packages take some time. In this aspect, Homebrew is a lot faster than MacPorts as many downloaded packages are half-done rather than compiling from scratch.

Compilation of qBittorrent is straight forward after extraction of source codes from the downloaded compressed archive file:

gzip -cd qbittorrent-3.1.9.tar.gz | tar -xvf -
cd qbittorrent-3.1.9

Change all paths begin with /opt/local to /usr/local with stream editor running in in-place mode (i command line option):

sed -i -e 's:/opt/local:/usr/local:g' macxconf.pri

Create Makefile for compilation and initiate compilation with make command (-j4 option for quad-core Mac):

qmake qbittorrent.pro
make -j4

The resultant qbittorrent.app executable can be found in src folder. Proper packaging and create disk image for future distribution:

sudo macdeployqt src/qbittorrent.app
sudo macdeployqt src/qbittorrent.app -dmg

You may want to gather all command lines into a shell script for quick future compilation. Thats it and I never have to live with obsolete Mac version of uTorrent client anymore. Time to study source code of qBittorrent for future contribution. Thank you for taking time to read this post.

sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

@littletree76

Thanks for the info. Could you update the wiki? Also, please stay around and possibly team up with pyed -> http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topi ... ml#msg9872
Did you try his build? Did it work? I am planning on making it the official build. But if he disappears are you willing to make builds for the project?

EDIT: Answer me with PMs.