Memory consumption over time

Windows specific questions, problems.
ciaobaby

Re: Memory consumption over time

Post by ciaobaby »

What you are missing is that, the Windows caching 'issue' has been a 'feature' of every Windows version going back to NT4, so any and every application that Windows "considers" may requires many files that need to be ready to be opened WILL cause the memory runaway.

It was originally  intended to speed up opening files if and when they where needed, by keeping a reference to the file GUID and the file "meta data" cached, but drives increased in size, applications grew more complex and required more and more files to be open to run, this 'optimistic referencing' just became a resource hog, and is so entrenched into the Windows core processes it will be a long time before M$ can get rid of it.

Why BT clients cause the problem to be more evident is that they are constantly reading and writing to multiple 'files' so Windows is always "thinking" that all those files need to be available in memory constantly whenever the BT client is running. But as soon as the client is closed, the cached references are no longer needed so Windows clears them out and releases the memory.

The 'fix' is to totally rewrite all the I/O routines and bypass Windows file handling completely. However BitTorrent tried that in uTorrent v3.3 and I think we all know what happened there.
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

Why do you keep on stating the obvious?

To sum it up:
I don't care that qBittorrent/libtorrent uses +4 GB of cache, really.
I do care that qBittorrent has a memory/handle leak, that will make it crash after ~100 hours of running.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Why do you keep on stating the obvious?
Because you seem unable to grasp that is NOT a qBitTorrent memory leak.
nub

Post by nub »

This problem is EXTREMELY annoying, hope it will be fixed soon.

I don't want to switch to another client but seems like i'll be forced to if this isn't addressed, QBT eats up 7gb+ of ram within minutes, please fix this.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Im wondering how its possible to reach that high of ram usage. Since the very first versions of qBittorrent till the newest I've never seen it go any higher than +-100MB and it only gets that high when it runs for days straight with alot of torrents loaded in it which is acceptable. I don't see it as a bug from qBittorrent to be honest. Also im wondering why so many other users don't experience this (also myself as I said) cause then I would be thinking that it could be indeed qBittorrent's fault.
Last edited by Nemo on Fri May 23, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

qBT can NOT use 7GiB of memory, it would have crashed LONG before that point,  2GiB is the ABSOLUTE maximum that a 32bit application can manage, trying to address more than that WILL cause a fatal exception (crash).
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Yes true. One thing that could be possible is that he is using Dayman's 64Bit build on his 64Bit machine (just guessing..). But then again.. How in the world do you reach 7GiB. Both versions are working flawless really.
nub

Post by nub »

Its not the QBT process itself that uses the memory, but when i have it open the memory consumption will go over 7gb, as soon as i close QBT, everything goes back to normal.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

That's because it is the Windows dumb cache system that reserves memory for files that  might, only might be used at a micro seconds notice.

BitTorrent clients, depending on the type of jobs that are running, can hold a large number of file handles open, M$ Windows reserves memory for EVERY single file name that is 'in use' or referenced. When you close the application that is holding the file handles, the references are released, M$ Windows revokes the cache, then everybody puts two and two together find that it equals six and blame qBitTorrent.

Read this thread as well. http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,2607.0.html

If qBitTorrent did have a "memory leak", builds that were running on Linux and Mac would also exhibit this problem, that does not happen; ergo the issue is Windows only
nub

Post by nub »

I've never had this problem before, it only happens for maximum 2 months or so.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

it only happens for maximum 2 months or so.
??

That's somewhat  ambiguous as a statement;

do you mean it it only happens every two months or so?

if so have you noticed what changes at those times

OR

it takes around two months to get to that point, after you have restarted qBitTorrent?
nub

Post by nub »

What i mean is i haven't ever experienced this issue with QBT before, it only started showing up in the past 2 months.

I don't remember other torrent clients doing this in the past either, with one exception being utorrent but that was an old version and the problem was fixed in a future release, this was a long time ago though.
Last edited by nub on Sat May 24, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nub

Post by nub »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topi ... l#msg11326
[/quote]

Good to hear !
Last edited by nub on Sat May 24, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.