qBittorent won't close

Windows specific questions, problems.
popion

qBittorent won't close

Post by popion »

qBittorent won't really close. The window will go away but the process will persist in the background. End task from task manager doesnt work.
Process hacker will kill it using ch1 (close the process handle) or m1(write garbage to the process memory region) but with a long wait time so it might be I/O.

What should I do next to debug this?

OS is Win8 64bits.
ciaobaby

Re: qBittorent won't close

Post by ciaobaby »

Uncheck "Close to System Tray" or use File -> Exit

Have you waited for all the running process AND what version number is this with?
popion

Post by popion »

3.0.9 and 3.1.9.2

The process won't close, it's not about the window closing. I started having trouble with a large torrent and upon trying to fix it I saw qbitorrent doesn't really close.

I am working my way up to fix my issues.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

qbitorrent doesn't really close.
This either means that libtorrent has a deadlock during shutdown (not likely)
or there is I/O taking placing when shutting down (very likely). Ie like moving a huge torrent to another disk/partition or maybe rechecking such a torrent.
Less common stuff are faulty network drivers/hardware that don't respond when libtorrent tries to close connections etc...
popion

Post by popion »

Process Hacker doesnt show any disk activity.

When inspecting the process a single thread seems to do any work
qbittorrent.exe!boost::asio::detail::win_iocp_socket_service_base::start_null_buffers_receive_op+0x2a6db9
popion

Post by popion »

I think It might have been my hardware.

Hdd smart data for the hdd that stores torrents reports 90 for UltraDMA CRC Error Count. Last time I checked that it was 0.
I opened the case, reconnected the cable and for the last 10 minutes no issues. Even the 21gb torrent that made me to discover that qbittorrent wouldn't close is doing fine.

Will wait a bit more and report but atm it looks like it's fixed.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

[quote="popion"]
I started having trouble with a large torrent and upon trying to fix it I saw qbitorrent doesn't really close.
[/quote]

Its normal that it can take some time before it completetly closes the right way especially when you are downloading large, big torrents. While seeding on the other hand should be faster to shut down after stopping them first.
Last edited by Nemo on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

The user talks about longer than normal wait. Actually about a zombie process. And hopefully his hardware error was the culprit.
popion

Post by popion »

A fair amount of time has passed and qbittorrent had no issues. I think it's safe to say the problem was the hardware.
zeomal

Post by zeomal »

I seem to be having the same problem (just started a few minutes prior to posting this well... post).

Of course, not exactly the same problem, but somewhat like Sledge mentioned, I have to wait longer than usual for qB to quit. If I close qB and immediately attempt to open it, nothing happens. Checking the task manager reveals that there are two qB processes, with the earlier one using more memory (RAM). I tried it again, and this time, attempted to start multiple instances of qB, one after the other. Again, the task manager showed as many number of processes as the number of attempts. Closing the newer ones is possible, but trying to close the oldest one gives the message Access denied, then disappears.

Any ideas?

The OS is Windows 8.1 (64 bit). The version of qB is 3.2.0 alpha (64 bit).
JasonCarswell

Post by JasonCarswell »

Someone suggested it was fixed.  Not for me.  I have the latest.

I've had this problem on two different types of Dell machines, both running Win7 x64.

I only started using qBittorrent on the second because the first was so bad.  I stopped using the desktop qB and used a laptop qB LAN-ed to the desktop harddrive.  After another year or two now it's failing to terminate.

Another thing.  The desktop was loosing queued torrents.  Magnet torrents that had not started were lost for good and I'll never know.  Downloaded/saved torrent files at least can be re-added.  If it's over a thousand then it's bothersome to re-add every reboot.

The shut down thing has been a problem for a couple months, but I only recently noticed some of the queue was missing.  When next I reboot I'll check to see if it's happened again.

Is it not terminating because it's not properly writing the queue?

I'm no expert but here's some other ideas:
- I have A LOT of torrents.
  - Over half haven't even started because I might a better version or are a stand-in reminder for something.
  - Most of the active ones are stale but finish from time to time.  I can't bear to give up on them.  I wanted them then and now.
- This seems to either happen because I have so many or because I've been using it for a year or two (and it builds up).
- I also leave it on for weeks at a time.
- Are there other apps that may interfere?
- Is there something about the shut down order?
- Is there a way to monitor the shut down process?  (ie. For each shut down process it writes it to a log that can be checked.)

Thanks in advance.
~J
tekko

Post by tekko »

I've found that when u've torrents rechecking and qbt terminated/crashed, some torrents won't be loaded the next time u restart. The stuff are still in the bt_backup folder though. You can re-add the torrents inside. For magnets without torrent, I usually just output all the unique hashes in bt_backup and try to add them all... missing ones will be added. The easier way is to backup the bt_backup folder each time u've added something. If u know something is missing, either by writing down the number of torrents or counting the files in bt_backup, u can replace the whole bt_backup before starting qbt. By replacing the bt_backup folder, u'll have to recheck the whole list though.

I've suggested to delete the old .fastresume files only after successfully writing the new one. Or store a working one as .fastresume.old, and load the old one if the new one failed to load... but... well... no change.

My suggestion for u is to pause all torrents before closing qbt. U would have to pick the ones to start again/ resume all each time though...
Last edited by tekko on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JasonCarswell

Post by JasonCarswell »

That's some technical shit (in a good way).  I'll have to look into your tech-tips when I've got some time and won't feel overwhelmed.  Thanks in advance.

Re: pausing all:

Since the problem started affecting the 2nd computer, as with the 1st, I learned that it used to exit/terminate better when everything was paused and not have to force recheck everything upon restart.  So I've already been doing that.

Perhaps the fact that, before, initially I was exiting without pausing everything first - perhaps that triggered something (a memory leak/loop?) that grew in time - and now, even though I'm pausing everything (and waiting until the upload/download is null before I exit), perhaps the damage is already done.  Perhaps I'm just speculating like noob.

Shouldn't there be an "auto-pause-all" in the exit/shutdown process?
Last edited by JasonCarswell on Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jadis

Post by Jadis »

Hi all, new here and found this thread via Google. I seem to have the same issue. I noticed this today because I updated this morning for the first time in a while and had issues with getting the application to close and I guess an update was released tonight and had issues again. Felt I would throw in my two cents! For both scenarios below, I had no other active torrents other than what I was starting.

The first time, I said I would like to update, I downloaded the .exe, I then confirmed adding the magnets, and I started the 5 magnets about 100 MB each. After waiting 10-20 seconds for the first ones to load up, I exited the program via notification area in the bottom-right of Windows and then ran the update .exe. It said it was already running and to retry or close. I tried to end the process and it didn't do anything. After about 5 minutes, the process ended on its own and I updated.

Just now, pretty much the same thing except I thought I might be able to avoid the wait by not adding the magnet link (2 GB) yet. Well, that didn't work and I still had to wait about 5 minutes for the process to close on its own. Again, ending task on the process didn't do anything and then the process ended on its own about 5 minutes later.

A very small inconvenience for a great application but just thought I'd throw my info out there. Thanks all.
Last edited by Jadis on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
sensualfreespirit

Post by sensualfreespirit »

Hi,

I have the same issue, it doesn't close when I X out & I'll never remember to go to "File" "Exit", as that's not what I've been doing for 2 years now.

Can you fix it please.