Rating and comment

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.

Is useful to introduce the option of rating and add comment?

Yes
No votes
No
100%
No but it would be nice to be introduced
No votes

Total votes: 4

user

Rating and comment

Post by user »

Hello.I remember first version of utorrent when introduced option to give a star to a torrent and also to let a comm straight to utorrrent box.According to the stars  received it was easier to evaluate a file and give me a assurance that everything is ok.
So what you think...on future introduction of a rating system would be a good ideea?
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Rating and comment

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

No way. Useless feature for a bittorrent client. All these are handled by the page you downloaded from anyway.
Last edited by sledgehammer_999 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Definitly a big no. My thougths are same as sledge wrote.

To make it clear from my point of view;
The client doesn't need to see for you if its safe/okay/the right file that you are downloading or whatever reason it is, You (the user) need to know that you are doing the right thing, the right torrent download not the other way around. Therefore its bloat.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

The level of tracking and phone-homing the results to trackers or via DHT make this somewhere between impractical and impossible.
Either the BitTorrent protocol itself has to be (slightly) extended for trackers to handle the additional information, or it will clearly be a specific-client only feature which means nobody outside of the group that drinks the same kool-aide can participate...making the ratings highly dubious at best.
Worse, hostile groups could "poison the well" with fake results to confuse others.

There's no sense of concentration of rating information -- what organization will collect and store all these ratings? How will they verify each rating is "legit" in the sense it comes from a single source rather than someone making multiple ratings on the same .torrent?
How often should results be returned to the viewers? While once per tracker update or once per hour on DHT sounds low, factored over 100's of active (and maybe even paused/stopped torrents) this can add up.

Would you be willing to sacrifice considerable download and upload speed for such a feature?