When using RSS feeds to get magnet links connect to get the size of the file.

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
adrian

When using RSS feeds to get magnet links connect to get the size of the file.

Post by adrian »

I found that when I use a RSS feed that gives out magnet links that I don't know the size of the file.  It would be good if I could see it and maybe use range of the file size as a filter to determine if I want to auto download it.
ciaobaby

Re: When using RSS feeds to get magnet links connect to get the size of the file.

Post by ciaobaby »

Until the metadata has been downloaded from available peers the size of the payload IS unknown.
maruseru

Re: When using RSS feeds to get magnet links connect to get the size of the file.

Post by maruseru »

for the love of god please improve the rss, it's the only thing keeping me from using qB as my primary client. just add "Episode filter" and "download just once" I can't use the rss of qbittorrent because I got several trackers for tv shows and movies, and the current plugin can't ignore episodes that I have downloaded already from another tracker (or the same if there are more than 1 versions), and there's things that people want to download just once, like movies or music albums. please consider this for future versions.
Last edited by maruseru on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrian

Post by adrian »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
Until the metadata has been downloaded from available peers the size of the payload IS unknown.
[/quote]
Yes, I know that.  Which is why it would be good if qB could just to join the swarm long enough to get the file information without downloading anything else.  The feature is there when you attempt to DL a magnet link from the Search tab.

I don't want to start a full DL, requiring allocating space on my HD, only to determine that I don't want it and then I have to purge the files that were created.  Would be much better if qB could do this automatically and not allocate anything till I request to start again.
Last edited by adrian on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I don't want to start a full DL, requiring allocating space on my HD, only to determine that I don't want it and then I have to purge the files that were created.  Would be much better if qB could do this automatically and not allocate anything till I request to start again.
Then the simple fact is that to NOT use RSS to automatically load tasks. If you want control over what is selected for download, you CANNOT use automated methods of starting tasks. There is no two ways around it.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

The search actually parses the results returned by the search functionality of that site. Those results also include the torrent size.
RSS structure may contain those or it may not. You would need specialized parsing for each tracker's RSS to get this working like the search feature(which uses specialized plugins for each website).
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

The search actually parses the results returned by the search functionality of that site.
The search may, but the metadata doesn't.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

That's what I meant. The search parses the html returned by the site. Usually even if it is a magnet link the site includes the data size. That is what is used by the search plugins and it is displayed. Of course the site could lie about the data size. Nothing we can do about it.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Usually even if it is a magnet link the site includes the data size.
Maybe, BUT the payload size in the task list WILL be 'Unknown' until the metadata has loaded.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

ciaobaby wrote:
Usually even if it is a magnet link the site includes the data size.
Maybe, BUT the payload size in the task list WILL be 'Unknown' until the metadata has loaded.
Of course. The user was just saying that in the search results there is column that indicates the payload size. I just explained why that happens. If that magnet link is added to the session (from the search results) it will still show as "uknown" size until the metadata are downloaded.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

That's not what
I found that when I use a RSS feed that gives out magnet links that I don't know the size of the file
coupled with the title question of:

"When using RSS feeds to get magnet links, connect to get the size of the file" (Implied comma added)

Suggests to me.

Because if you use RSS to get a magnet link YOU are not looking at the remote site OR the incoming data so HOW exactly is the user going to know UNTIL the meta data loads?????

The TS  STATES categorically that the magnets are NOT being downloaded automatically from the feed so he/she HAS to decide later,  at which point there is no indication of the payload.size until the task is started and the metadata is received.
adrian

Post by adrian »

ciaobaby wrote: The TS  STATES categorically that the magnets are NOT being downloaded automatically from the feed so he/she HAS to decide later,  at which point there is no indication of the payload.size until the task is started and the metadata is received.
What is the TS?  Why cannot the data be auto populated by just having the option of it to auto connect like when you double click on a search item (which is a magnetlink) to initiate download (but not actually download anything but the metadata).  This is what I'm asking for.
ciaobaby wrote:
Then the simple fact is that to NOT use RSS to automatically load tasks. If you want control over what is selected for download, you CANNOT use automated methods of starting tasks. There is no two ways around it.
I want to automatically load the tasks and I've set it so that it doesn't automatically start it.  This way I can become apprised that the file I'm interested appears and I can then look to see if I want to actually DL it.

As for "no two ways around it", what is up with you?  This is a suggestion and a legit one.  Why are you being so negative?
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Sorry you don't like the answer, there's no "being negative" about it, it's a simple fact of dealing with magnets. The metadata HAS to be retrieved from the peers that are available in the swarm before ANY information about the payload can be displayed.
If you think I am incorrect, then prove it for yourself by choosing a magnet link that has a very low peer count and observing what happens if you add it to the task list before the "load dialogue" is populated.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

The alternative of course is for you  to ONLY use RSS feeds that provide metadata in the form of physical .torrent files.