Last active sort column

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
peaveyman

Last active sort column

Post by peaveyman »

Could a sort column be added to sort by the last active torrent? This would be really helpful.

Thanks
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Last active sort column

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

search bugs.qbittorrent.org
I think someone already has requested it there.
If not, make an issue there.
peaveyman

Post by peaveyman »

I will look.. I already added an issue on github and added [Wishlist] to the title but don't know if that is what you are talking about.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

[quote="peaveyman"]
Could a sort column be added to sort by the last active torrent? This would be really helpful.
[/quote]

Helpful for whom?

http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,2713

I know it's not on my list of essential features.
peaveyman

Post by peaveyman »

Well, maybe not for you but it would be for me. And I really don't know what the link you provided has to do with a feature request such as this.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Because at the moment YOU are the only one what that considers it 'useful', therefore it is a "minority use case" 'feature' that would only add to the resource usage for every other user.

qBT is open source of course, so anyone is free to add their own features that are not particularly 'mainstream'.
ranneyd

Post by ranneyd »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
Because at the moment YOU are the only one what that considers it 'useful', therefore it is a "minority use case" 'feature' that would only add to the resource usage for every other user.

qBT is open source of course, so anyone is free to add their own features that are not particularly 'mainstream'.
[/quote]

Wow I had to register an account and post because that last comment was so stupid.

Do a google search for "last active column torrent" and see a request for this feature on every major torrent software other than uTorrent which already has it.

claobaby maybe you are too important to feel the need to seed torrents or you just have infinite hard drive space, but for the rest of us who feel seeding torrents is important, because without seeding there are no torrents, but we do not have unlimited resources, we want to seed all we can, but do not want to keep around files that are not active. I want to seed files, but when my hard drive is full and I need to delete some of the stuff I'm seeding, instead of just picking some torrent at random to delete I'd like to have some data to tell me whether or not the torrent I'm about to delete has any demand. And how do you measure demand? It is much more detrimental to the community to delete a torrent that was last active 5 seconds ago then one that hasn't been active in 6 months.

Also nice open source argument. I'm sure people post in the "General >> Suggestions" section because they are avid developers and want to post a request for a feature and then immediately implement it themselves just because they like posting useless crap in forums. Because that makes sense.

EDIT: I'm a computer science major with a focus in high performance computing. Seeding a torrent already edits the metadata of the file to change things like uploaded data and ratio so that metadata is already in the cache. Date string for last added is a 64 bit value which is nothing and changing it when you've already loaded the metadata into the cache is essentially a free operation. So "resource usage" argument is also stupid
Last edited by ranneyd on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

claobaby maybe you are too important to feel the need to seed torrents or you just have infinite hard drive space, but for the rest of us who feel seeding torrents is important,

It's nothing to do with MY CHOICE! It is about whether the "feature" is needed or useful for MORE THAN A FEW USERS.

The facility to SEE how long a job has been seeding for is already there;
The facility to see IF any other peer(s) are actively downloading is already there;

NOBODY is forcing to to use a BitTorrent client that does not have a "feature" that you particularly require, if qBT does not have a 'feature' DO NOT USE qBittorrent, use a client that does.

"Because other clients have it" is NOT suitable justification for a 'feature', and wanting to bring qBT down to the same resource hogging level of other clients is NOT the reason this forum is here. The majority of qBT users do so because it does NOT have useless features hogging resources, and it just does what we expect.
changing it when you've already loaded the metadata into the cache is essentially a free operation
There is no such thing as a "free operation" in computing terms. EVERYTHING uses resources in one form or another.

You seem to be thinking in very small terms which is usual for theoretical 'experts'. Sure six or seven active tasks may not be noticeable, multiply that by a factor of ten, or a factor of a hundred and the extra processor cycles and memory usage becomes significant.
Date string for last added is a 64 bit value which is nothing
Just in case you had not noticed, qBitTorrent is a 32 bit application, so 64bit values take a little more processing time.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

I don't understand why you keep beating a dead horse.
I already accepted this item in the bug tracker, I just don't know WHEN I'll implement it (patches welcome).

Moreover, as I said I highly doubt there is a performance issue with the v3.2.x code. That code uses an "answer" from libtorrent that contains almost all other values that are drawn in the transferlist. It also contains the last upload/download time. We just don't use. It would be trivial to add it since it doesn't need an extra "question" to libtorrent.

In this case the only performance issue MIGHT be(I doubt it) the drawing speed of the widget.

So any further discussion about this is moot IMO.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Request made, accepted by sledge, done. There is no ETA so be patient, nothing more.
Ghoor

Post by Ghoor »

Hi, guys
I'm really need this "Last active" feature, but I'm too noooby in linux and other
I see https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/pull/2077
Am I right that this feature was done?
I just installed qbittorrent 3.1.11 via debian chroot on my Synology NAS
Can you show me the way how to activate "Last Active" column in webui please?
Last edited by Ghoor on Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

it will be available on v3.2.0 when it is released