qbittorrent kills internet connection

Windows specific questions, problems.
popion

qbittorrent kills internet connection

Post by popion »

Not sure if this is the place to ask but here it goes.

Recently I acquired a Netgear vpn824v2 (older but probably not the issue). While downloading torrents (might be related to number of connections; sometimes it works with 3+ torrents, other times it doesn't with 1) browsing internet is impossible, browser acts like the website doesn't exists. Even pings to 8.8.8.8 fail. But internet connection is still up on laptop connected via wireless(didn't got a chance to check wired yet).

Next step I took was disable upnp on the router and qbittorent. Also tried resetting qbittorent settings via deleting settings file and deleting windows firewall qbit related entries.

OS is win 8.1, qBittorrent 3.0.9(not last version, whitelists...), browser Firefox 34(also tried chrome, same).

I think the culprit might be the OS but not sure. What should I do to find what is the issue and subsequently fix it?

edit: maybe related: http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,2654.0.html
Last edited by popion on Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: qbittorrent kills internet connection

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

lower your connection limits and the number of half open connections
popion

Post by popion »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
lower your connection limits and the number of half open connections
[/quote]

lowered max connections to 100 and half open to 30 and that seems to do the trick but I wont saturate even 1/3 of the connection and paying for 20MBps to dl with ~6MBps is not that nice.

anyway based on this, am I to assume it's the router's fault right?

edit: did a bit of testing and seems like the number of half open is the biggest offender.
might not be the place to ask but how can I test this? the maximum number of open connections my pc+router combo can handle?
Last edited by popion on Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

but I wont saturate even 1/3 of the connection and paying for 20MBps to dl with ~6MBps is not that nice.
Yet you started off saying that your connection WAS being saturated, it can't work both ways.

YOU have to find settings that suit YOUR use case. You either run qBT at the maximum and put up with browsing problems, or you leave headroom for browsing.
popion

Post by popion »

ciaobaby wrote:
but I wont saturate even 1/3 of the connection and paying for 20MBps to dl with ~6MBps is not that nice.
Yet you started off saying that your connection WAS being saturated, it can't work both ways.

YOU have to find settings that suit YOUR use case. You either run qBT at the maximum and put up with browsing problems, or you leave headroom for browsing.
Now that I understand the issue better, it seemed saturated due to large number of connections not bandwidth wise.
Before I got the router I had absolutely no issues like this, I was able to saturate the connection bandwidth wise(well it was capped at ~16MBps from qbittorent) and still browse the internet.
Now, with no limits qbittorent will kill normal internet browsing.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Just "play" with the settings until you find ones that suit you, nobody here can tell you what they will be because it depends on how you run your client. qBT also has a scheduler that you can use for switching between rate limits when you don't require browsing, but it is up to you to find the 'right' settings.
BeachGeek

Post by BeachGeek »

Might want to check router's security/firewall options for an "IP Flooding" option and disable it.
On Cisco routers this has caused browsers and other apps to 'freeze' when running torrent clients.  Logs show apps timing out waiting on DNS.

On Cisco modem/routers provided by ISPs, we've found the option turned back on sometimes.  So worth checking even if you think it's off.

Just an idea,
BG
popion

Post by popion »

[quote="BeachGeek"]
Might want to check router's security/firewall options for an "IP Flooding" option and disable it.
On Cisco routers this has caused browsers and other apps to 'freeze' when running torrent clients.  Logs show apps timing out waiting on DNS.

On Cisco modem/routers provided by ISPs, we've found the option turned back on sometimes.  So worth checking even if you think it's off.

Just an idea,
BG
[/quote]

I checked event log and no issues where present, this is why I came here to ask. I also tried to get more info on the router but being old no support was available anymore and the docs that I got by lightly searching on google where full of marketing spreak.

Anyway, in my case I think it's safe to asume the culprit was the hardware. It was a router issue. I got around to limiting the number of connections first then changing it and had no more problems.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Good that its fixed.

This is mainly caused by routers. If it can't handle the high number of connections/half open connections your internet will ''hang'' and come back after few moments or disconnect completely, or even restart. Its a nice investment to have a good router for using P2P :).
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

It also depends on where you download from.
An example.

If you have DD-WRT installed on your router, you can view open-connections.
If I used a standard torrent from a closed tracker: I had around ~100 connections, according to my settings.
If I used a really popular torrent from a closed tracker: I had more than ~9k+ connections, stalling my connection too.
If I used a REALLY popular torrent from an open (Nyaa) tracker: I have exceeded my 17k+ connection limit in my DD-WRT, completely killing my entire network's connection.

So the swarm also counts a LOT on how many connections will your client open.
(This happened with a server box, and with uTorrent, not qBittorrent.)