My user interface is very different from the screenshots

Windows specific questions, problems.
stevecarsonr

My user interface is very different from the screenshots

Post by stevecarsonr »

Hi,

I have just downloaded the latest version (3.1.11) on my new win 8.1 laptop. It is the first time I have used this client with windows. I am travelling so I can't compare with what I downloaded and used on the mac, except from memory something important is missing.

I attach a screenshot. Perhaps this is why I cannot search for a program like "Match of the day".
The only search bar is on the screen with all the downloads - and I have zero.

In the documentation there is a screenshot which has a tab with "Search". As you can see from my screenshot I don't have this tab.

How do I search for files to download from other people? It seems like the most important feature in a bit torrent client but it doesn't exist..

I tried all of the options in the menus and found View->Search Engine. It told me I needed Python. I click "Yes" and then it goes into a "do nothing" - spin wheel mode - forever.
On my mac, I always said no to this option but I was still able to search. I still had a screen (accessible via a tab) where I could type in a search phrase and then select a file or multiple files and download them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Steve
Attachments
Screenshot (1).png
ciaobaby

Re: My user interface is very different from the screenshots

Post by ciaobaby »

Any suggestions?
Manually install Python 2.7.x 0r 3.x.x (python.org/downloads/)
Perhaps this is why I cannot search for a program like "Match of the day".
You have no loaded jobs, so the task list search filter has nothing to search through.
On my mac, I always said no to this option but I was still able to search

Python is pre-installed on Linux  and Mac operating systems, it is not on Windows (M$ arrogance, ... You get Windows ... what more could you possibly need?)
stevecarsonr

Re: My user interface is very different from the screenshots

Post by stevecarsonr »

Thanks very much helpful people.

I downloaded Python manually.
I selected View-Search and.. the search engine has now appeared.

Much appreciated.