Missing Files in QB PLEASE HELP!!!

Windows specific questions, problems.
KingCast

Missing Files in QB PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by KingCast »

Ok so I created a torrent about 45GB with QB.  I uploaded it to KAT, everything was great as usual but on day 2 of me seeding my torrent I noticed that it stalled at 99%  Ok so I tried the usual remedies.  Stop, restart.  Recheck. Closed the program,  got rid of a few bad trackers and still nothing.  Ok so next inside of QB I highlighted my stalled torrent and clicked on the content tab.  Now this 45GB file of mine is all music, painstakingly organized into different genres.  So I see one of the folders is the culprit, while all other folders were at 100%, this one folder was stalled at 86%.  So after reading some forums it was suggested that I should deselect all of my other folders and try to jump start the one stalled out folder.  Ok well this didn't work as it went back to the stalled at 86%.  Ok so now I'm at my wits end and decide to give up for the night which brings me to about an hour ago.  I went to check on the source of my torrent on my Hard drive and to my dismay I've found that all but the one stalled folder are gone.  I've tried to add back the original created torrent but it now stalls at 6.4%.  I've tried to add the original torrent in Utorrent with the same result.  I've also tried to download it again from KAT but with out any seeders it won't go past 6.4%.  Please help!  These music folders are my life!

Thanks for any assistance,
Steve  A.K.A.  KingCast
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Missing Files in QB PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

What happens if you reselect the unselected folders in qbt? Does it show the rest?
PS: Search for hidden folders named ".unwanted" in your save path.
KingCast

Post by KingCast »

Thanks for responding,  I should have mentioned that there are no hidden "unwanted folders" as that was one of the first things i did.  So when I recheck everything, the folder structure reappears, all of my music genre folders,  but with no files in them.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Do you have the "keep incomplete torrents in:" feature enabled?
If yes, check for the files if they exist in the temp path and in the final path.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

If you were the one that created the torrent payload, and your original  copy is damaged/corrupted by something on your machine, possibly music files being 're-tagged', the whole thing is well and truly FUbared.

Unless of course somebody else managed to download the entire payload before it was damaged.
KingCast

Post by KingCast »

Unfortunately I didn't see the keep incomplete torrents feature until after the mishap.  I ran some recovery software and it looks like I'll be able to recover most but not all of it.  It just sucks because at no time was I ever prompted about the possibility of loosing data.  I was just trying to resolve the 99% problem
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

It just sucks because at no time was I ever prompted about the possibility of loosing data.
Ummm? That IS what the "missing files" status is telling you. And IF it happens on a payload that you created and are seeding, it does mean that something on your machine caused the problem.
KingCast

Post by KingCast »

Is the "missing file status" you're referring to the 99% problem?  Because I never saw anything along those lines.

Thanks again for talking this out with me
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Are you 100% sure that you indeed had the files fully downloaded?

If you created the torrent and started seeding how come "it stalled at 99%" ?

I cannot understand how the rest of the files disappeared after you unselected them. Did you check for hidden folders named .unwanted? Yes I repeat myself.
These ".unwanted" folder could be created for each subfolder.
Does the root folder that contains all that music occupy 45GB on the disk?
KingCast

Post by KingCast »

This is how it played out:  Friday night I finished updating my DJ Music collection and added roughly 8GB bringing my collection up to just about 45GB.  I named the newly updated folder "DJ Collection Spring 2015 Update"  I then proceeded to make this collection a torrent so I can upload and share it on KAT to help other DJ's out.  I created torrent, uploaded it to KAT and everything was fine.  QBittorrent registered it as seeding 100%.  The next morning I downloaded a torrent when I realized QB was now registering my "Spring Update" torrent as Stalled at 99%.  I proceeded to check my source folder on my hard drive.  (in the past sometimes I would accidentally add a new mp3 to my dj collection source folder that I was already seeding and would then get error messages because the seeded torrent couldn't account for the new file)  However learning from my past mistakes I have been super careful of not touching my source folder that I'm seeding.  So in checking my source folder everything looks good, I then go back to QB, highlight my Spring Update torrent which is stalled at 99% and click on the content tab.  Here I see the status of each of my genre folders.  When I scroll down I see the folder named "lounge" is stalled at 86%.  I then expand that folder and see that a handful of songs are stalled at various percentages.  So I go back to my source folder and check out the songs that were stalled and absolutely no problems, I even listened to them all just to make sure.  So now I think it's just another 99% problem so I try to fix it.  I tried all the usual suspects first, stopping and restarting, remove and re-add, rechecking all with out luck.  On another forum some people had success unselecting the files that were 100% downloaded and specifically download the stalled files which I did.  So when I attempted this I unselected everything except the "Lounge" folder.  Next thing I see is QB stalled at 6.4%  Now I'm just like F it for night and go to bed.  So now this morning I open up QB and it's till stalled at 6.4%.  I'm just like whatever no big deal I'll make a new torrent, so I go back to my source folder and see that it's all gone except for the lounge folder.  NO FOLDER THAT SAYS UNWANTED EITHER, and I always have the show hidden files featured enabled in windows.  So now I'm a little nervous and remove the Spring Update torrent from QB and then try to re-add the torrent.  The torrrent checks to 6.4% and then stalls which leads me to seeking advice on the forum this morning.
KingCast

Post by KingCast »

Also to answer your other question the hard drive does NOT account for the 45GB, so the Hard drive is pretty much empty now because I only kept my DJ music files on it. 

I just got home and I ran some recovery software and some some HD diagnostic software while I was gone.  First the hard drive under multiple passes came back with no errors.  My recovery software recovered most of my files but not all of them, and further more some of the songs aren't perfect, which as a DJ makes me nervous as hell.  I'm gonna have to go over each one and keep it if it's good or go through a painstakingly long process of replacing them one at a time.

The recovery software did recover my genre folders and inside of each genre folder was the "unwanted" folder with almost all of the music in it. 

So at the end of the day I'm grateful to not have to start over from scratch but its gonna take me weeks to get it back to how I had it, not to mention the gig I have next week.  FML

Thanks guys for helping!

Steve  A.K.A.  KingCast
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

These are weird stuff you're mentioning. I can rule out a bug in qbt but not confirm it either...
Btw, are you using v3.1.12?
When you created the torrent and put it in the session, did you enable "start seeding after creation" option?
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

The next morning I downloaded a torrent when I realized QB was now registering my "Spring Update" torrent as Stalled at 99%.
Some other application on your machine must have corrupted the files in the payload to cause that, and as you are the one and only seed, it can never find that damaged 1% so, it is going to stall.