Activity and upload speed trails off over time, reloading client fixes it

Windows specific questions, problems.
Compass

Re: Activity and upload speed trails off over time, reloading client fixes it

Post by Compass »

I'm on Linux and I don't think this issue is happening to me, but check the screenshots. I could be wrong.

The second image is after I restarted the client. You can see that the number of seeds and peers (highlighted torrent) change and I saw a few peers connecting, but no uploading (it could be a normal situation).

Notice that in the first picture DHT: 0 nodes

I suggest doing a fresh configuration (you might want to backup some files/cache) which is what I did after I installed qBittorrent 3.2.0:

$ cd
$ find . -iname 'qbittorrent'

Then rm or mv them:

$ rm -rf .cache/qBittorrent/
$ rm -rf .config/qBittorrent/
$ rm -rf .local/share/data/qBittorrent/

Then start qBittorrent and configure as needed. See if that helps.

Compass.
Inwoods

Post by Inwoods »

Can I delete settings separately from deleting which torrents are loaded?  I have about 500 torrents loaded and the content is sorted in various folders.  Importing all this manually from uTorrent took a few hours.
Compass

Post by Compass »

When I first deleted the files here I forgot about the "$HOME/.local/share/data/qBittorrent/" directory, so all the loaded torrents were there.

Instead of deleting, you could just rename "$HOME/.config/qBittorrent/qBittorrent.conf" to something else (qBittorrent.conf.bak).

I just tested this and all the torrents stayed as they was, but my configuration was gone. After I restored my configuration file it went back to how I configured it.

Don't forget that you'll be using the default download directory, so if you try to resume a torrent it won't work unless you're using the default directory already, otherwise you have to modify accordingly.

P.S.: I forgot this is for Windows, but the basics are the same. ;D

Compass.
Last edited by Compass on Thu May 14, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inwoods

Post by Inwoods »

So there was a .config file in the install directory that was dated 2013, looong before I installed qBittorent.  I deleted it, didn't seem to lose settings.

My config files are .ini, is that what you want me to check?  So far I just renamed qBittorrent.ini to qBittorrent.ini.old and nothing was lost.  It just looks like the default settings in options are back (good!)

Error count is higher than it should be (shows about 222, once things are properly "working" it goes down to 70-74) and no activity yet.  Internet is not jammed.  Will edit if that changes.
Compass

Post by Compass »

On Linux the config file is qBittorrent.conf. How did you have a .config file from before you first installed qBittorrent? Perhaps only the timestamp changed?

Windows Registry might be keeping the settings stored as well, so you didn't lose the settings when you deleted the .config file. Perhaps someone else can explain this better.

Renaming .ini files shouldn't change anything, but if the default settings are back do some testing.

Be careful with what you change. As long as you keep the equivalent directory $HOME/.local/share/data/qBittorrent/ (Linux) safe your 500 torrents should restore (remember to configure the correct download directory before seeding them).

Compass.
Inwoods

Post by Inwoods »

I'd thought things were better, but I noticed today that everything was stalled again.  Disabled queuing and Boom.  Back to seeding at my bandwidth limit.

Of note is that there is a LONG hang (~30seconds) if I try to pause all my torrents, play all my torrents, or even after I disable queuing.  It's checking something, but I'm not sure what. 

Sometimes though I can pause and resume instantly, usually when everything seems to be "working fine."

EDIT: and of course with queuing disabled internet browsing is impossible.  Enabling queuing brings back internet browsing and instantly caused:

1. All active torrents to stop seeding.  Instantly.
2. That same pause or UI lockup again.
3. "Error" category to shoot from 60 to 513 (Which is all my torrents except those stuck downloading)
Last edited by Inwoods on Fri May 15, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inwoods

Post by Inwoods »

Enabling resolving peer names and always announcing seems to have broken things completely.  No activity even with queuing disabled.  No DHT nodes.  All 519 trackers in error category.

EDIT: Was unable to restore functionality for now.  Reverted settings and it still won't connect.  Not sure WHAT happened, I doubt I got banned from every tracker at the same time after all that happened.  Every tracker is listed as "not working."

EDIT 2; Just restarted a third time (also tried as admin, just b/c) and it's checking trackers again.  Weird.
Last edited by Inwoods on Fri May 15, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Compass

Post by Compass »

Does any other BitTorrent Client have problems?

Compass.
Inwoods

Post by Inwoods »

I don't have any clients installed now, but Vuze had no problems when I switched from Vuze to Q.

I mostly dropped Vuze because I hated all bloated extra crap, but it worked fine.

EDIT:  Making a TON of progress in the "error" category by deleteing udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80/announce from my torrents.  No idea why, but it might help.
Last edited by Inwoods on Mon May 18, 2015 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.