Drag + Drop doesn't work.

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
ainstushar

Drag + Drop doesn't work.

Post by ainstushar »

Drag + dropping torrent files on qbittorrent (3.2.0) on latest OS X doesn't work.

I get an error "The torrent file does not exist." Happens on a single or multiple file drag + drop.

(duplicate of github. Sorry, wasn't sure if the forum or the github was the main way to get in touch with dev).

Thanks.
ainstushar

Opening multiple torrent files at the same time fails

Post by ainstushar »

Opening multiple torrent files at the same time (selecting them in Finder and double-clicking on them) doesn't work. It only brings up the dialog box for one of those files. And that dialog box is unresponsive - I can't use my mouse to click any buttons, but I can use keyboard to navigate. Pressing Esc makes it go away. Kind of bizarre.

Thanks
3.2.0 on latest OSX
ciaobaby

Re: Drag + Drop doesn't work.

Post by ciaobaby »

Any spaces or "special characters" in the file names?
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Two  threads on similar topics merged
Last edited by ciaobaby on Thu May 14, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

It only brings up the dialog box for one of those files. And that dialog box is unresponsive
The "Add New Topic" dialogue is modal, so you need to close them in the sequence they were opened.

Drag the topmost one to one side until you find the 'bottom' one
ainstushar

Post by ainstushar »

Nope, no special characters (more details at github: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/3000)

The problem with opening multiple file is that I can't click on anything in the dialog box. I try to click OK or Cancel, and it won't let me. I can only use the keyboard to navigate. I think that's definitely a bug. It used to work in the past. Now it's just unresponsive when I open multiple files. Also, on OS X there are no windows for adding files, I can't drag away windows. Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/MnfqGws.jpg

If I press ESC and get rid of the open dialog box, it makes the whole window unresponsive. It feels like the dialog box steals active window focus away from it and then it doesn't give it back. I can't click on anything. Even the keyboard doesn't work. The close buttons should be red/yellow/green, but they are greyed out, which means that the window can't get focus. Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/77Sy4MT.jpg. I can't even quit the app (cmd + Q). :(

Also, I am new at reporting bug reports, can you please let me know what is the most efficient place to report bugs/get feedback from dev? github or this forum? Thanks.
Last edited by ainstushar on Thu May 14, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

[
quote]. It feels like the dialog box steals active window focus away from it and then it doesn't give it back.
It does, that is what a 'modal' dialogue is, they are used to prevent 'race conditions' by preventing the parent application accessing data or values that is in the process of being changed. So your observations are correct, however, the "focus" should be in 'layers' so that each time you close the one that has focus by cancelling or accepting by pressing OK  will allow the next one in the window stack to get focus, it's a bit like peeling an onion  :'(  :'( 

It works OK on my systems Linux and Windows, if you layout the windows in as cascade (F3) the 'topmost' should be last one.
ainstushar

Post by ainstushar »

I know how modal windows work and this is a buggy behavior. The window prevents me from clicking on anything INSIDE the window. In the screenshot attached, I can't click on OK or Cancel button thats INSIDE the modal window. I know modal windows are supposed to steal focus away from the background, but the problem is that even when I close modal window (by pressing ESC), it doesn't give focus back to the original main window. Please see the attached screenshot. I wish I could record my interaction to help you understand that this is a HUGE problem. People can't add multiple torrents. And I have to force quit the application from activity manager (task manager for mac).

When I press ESC on 1st modal window, the 2nd one should come up (like you said), but it doesn't. And that's preventing me from doing anything inside the app. Like I said, it used to be fine in previous versions when I added multiple files at the same time.

Thanks.
Last edited by ainstushar on Thu May 14, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

The window prevents me from clicking on anything INSIDE the window. In the screenshot attached, I can't click on OK or Cancel button thats INSIDE the modal window
That is because you are opening MULTIPLE modal windows, EACH one has 'modality' over the previous one(s), so the ONLY one you can access is the last one opened.

The only "bad behaviour" involved is that qbittorrent allows multiple modal windows to be opened sequentially, but THAT is a criticism that could be thrown at very, very many applications.
There is no 'bug', no 'fault',  just normal 'modal' behaviour.
ainstushar

Post by ainstushar »

I think we are having communication issue. Do you have mac? Can you please try opening multiple torrent files in qBittorrent? I can't click anything inside the top-most modal window. I am well versed in programming to know how modal windows work and where the focus should go. This is a bug. It wasn't in previous versions. I can't do anything when I open multiple torrent files with qBittorrent. I am posting this on github hoping that someone with mac can verify my conundrum.

Thanks.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

No I'm on Linux (and Windows) and there is no problem there.

But in saying there is a problem with "drag and drop" or with the qBT handling  of "drag and drop" is patently and obviously incorrect. If the fault WAS with qBT then no modal windows would appear the fact that they do is demonstrable proof that "drag and drop" IS working, the fact that it appears your OS is not ordering the modal windows correctly is not necessarily a QBT fault.

And yes it does need more Mac OS users to provide information from their system.