qBittorrent new encryption against traffic shaping

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
Papanikles

qBittorrent new encryption against traffic shaping

Post by Papanikles »

As we know some ISPs apply speed limitations on P2P connections. Using conventional encryption (RC4 / Plain text) no longer results. They have discovered way to decipher the data.

What I suggest is that the qBittorrent support a new type of encryption (RC5, AES, etc.).

I believe that is a simple thing to modify on libttorrent library on encryption section. Basically we need to implement a new encryption on libtorrent and when client have encryption On libtorrent verify (compatibility reasons) peer-id of connection and if the peer is a qBittorrent user apply the new encryption to the connection also uses the old encryption.

I think this can be a great point that differentiation and can help a lot people that suffering by limitations of your ISP.

What you think about this?
Last edited by Papanikles on Wed May 27, 2015 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Re: qBittorrent new encryption against traffic shaping

Post by ciaobaby »

They have discovered way to decipher the data.
There was never a need to 'discover' how, it is pretty well documented so it just needed implementing.

Encryption is a peer setting is handled by libtorrent

Last but not least;

If one client uses a different encryption algorithm, .... How exactly would you propose communicating with ANY other bittorrent client that doesn't  use that particular algorithm?
Papanikles

Post by Papanikles »

I explained in my post. Just need a simples verification on peer-id or client-id to make compatible with others clients.

Something like this:
If (encryption == on AND clientid == qbt)
encrypt = new;
else If (encryption == on AND clientid != qbt)
encrypt = old;
else
encrypt = none;

Libtorrent checks clientid (m_client_version) and encryption status (crypto_select).

Also Libtorrent already use some settings customizes for some clients. You can verify this on "bt_peer_connection.cpp". For example, they have a header request especify for bitcomet clients.
Last edited by Papanikles on Thu May 28, 2015 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Sure, but either way around it is not something that can be implemented by qbittorrent devs.