Strange behaviour with folders (v3.2.0 and previous versions)

Windows specific questions, problems.
Thaeril

Strange behaviour with folders (v3.2.0 and previous versions)

Post by Thaeril »

So my PC crashed and all my torrents are gone... kind of. Everything that was 'completed' or 'paused' (with percentage completed) went back 0% and got paused. I have to mention that I added some new torrents prior to crashing and paused them. One was left running and this one was fine after crash. I'm mentioning it because I lost my setting several times when my PC crashed after changing qB settings.
Crashed PC means you will lose some data so I'm ok with it. But...
Resuming starts downloading from 0%. Before resuming I'm unable to open destination folder (nothing happens). Forcing reckeck does nothing. No errors in execution log (all torrents were resumed successfully).
And now the fun part starts...

Unable to do anything, I removed all my torrents and "tried" to add them again.
All torrents contained a single main folder with "[group name] title" format and upon adding torrents I renamed those folders to "title" in adding torrent window.

For some reason, there is no way to make qBittorrent recognize that the files I'm trying to download are already there. It just downloads new files with .qB extension (if option is selected) or just rewrites the old files. After downloading files stay with .qB extension.
It gets even funnier when I'm trying to force reckeck - qBittorrent just creates folder with original name ("[group name] title") and proceed to download files there. Pausing, trying to copy&paste old files and forcing recheck have the same result.

Also, renaming folder when adding new torrent sometimes creates folder with original name and puts some or all files there instead of renamed folder (qB creates it and leaves it empty). This happens randomly and usually removing torrent and folder and adding it again properly creates renamed folder and puts files in it. But It's even more funky when there is another folder inside...

Now I'm redownloading everything because I'm unable to make qB "see" or "recognize" that my files are already there.

Everything is connected to the fact that original folder names from torrents were changed when torrents were added and qB seems to kinda forget that sometimes. While rechecking it still looks for a folder with original name (from torrent). Why does that happen?

Also, is it possible to change folder name for torrents that are already added?
ciaobaby

Re: Strange behaviour with folders (v3.2.0 and previous versions)

Post by ciaobaby »

Everything is connected to the fact that original folder names from torrents were changed when torrents were added and qB seems to kinda forget that sometimes. While rechecking it still looks for a folder with original name (from torrent). Why does that happen?
IT has to because that IS the name that is in the metadata and therefore the only reference it has to the payload.
Thaeril

Post by Thaeril »

Sorry, I'm a total noob when it comes to programming. But I think I get it.

Is it possible to make a workaround?
It works in uTorrent. But there renaming main folder when adding a torrent also changes torrent name in the list.
3.2.0 fixed a lot of things for me. Since new version I didn't lose settings or rss rules even once. This thing with folder names is the only thing that bothers me. Especially when I add new torrent and qB creates two folders, then puts some files here and there.

I guess keeping original folder names would fix my problems - am I correct?
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I guess keeping original folder names would fix my problems - am I correct?
Absolutely
Is it possible to make a workaround?
It works in uTorrent. But there renaming main folder when adding a torrent also changes torrent name in the list.
That is because uTorrent rewrites the metadata in the .torrent files to compensate for some of it's other bad behaviours
Thaeril

Post by Thaeril »

Thanks for help so far. I'm almost done ;)

So I lost my progress because my PC crashed. Which files should I backup to prevent that? All my torrents were resumes successfully after crash but paused and with 0% progress. I guess there is a file that stores information about progress, paths, folder names, etc. and this one got reset when my PC crashed.
That is because uTorrent rewrites the metadata in the .torrent files to compensate for some of it's other bad behaviours
Is there a way to do this manually?
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

BEncode written by one of BitTorrent's developer team.
Thaeril

Post by Thaeril »

Thank you. It works like a charm. My PC crashed again and I lost progress on one of my torrents. But I managed to salvage my progress and keep my folder name by editing torrent with BEncode and re-adding it in qB.

I still wonder if backuping qBittorrent folders (from appdata/roaming and appdata/local) would work too.

Anyway, consider my problem solved. Thanks again.

I hope this will be changed (if possible) in future releases. Sometimes qBittorrent creates 2 folders (with original and modified name) and splits files between them which is strange. This happened only once or twice.
If there is another folder inside main one and files are in both of them, qB will create 2 folders more often. Then files from main folder (which was renamed) are put in correct folder but secondary folder and its files are put in a folder with original name.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I still wonder if backuping qBittorrent folders (from appdata/roaming and appdata/local) would work too.
I would advice to do this now and then after qBittorrent has cleanly closed fully. If things get messed up again you can try to recover it with the backups you had made. The important settings you mentioned are stored there.
Thaeril

Post by Thaeril »

Yeah, I was doing backups after completing torrents from private trackers prior to v3.2.0 - since this release I didn't have any problems, until recently.

It seems that possibility of losing progress after PC crash occurs only if you have paused torrents and/or while downloading. If everything sits there at 100% and seeding, qB seems to be unaffected by a crash.

Also, I'm officially dumb :) I found out that I can re-add torrents with original folder names, pause them and then change names in "Content" tab. Recheck will automatically happen and qB will find all files (which doesn't happens if you change folder name when re-adding torrent - qB will simply ignore existing files and start downloading new ones).
Changing folder name inside the torrent by using BEncode makes this torrent unrecognizable by trackers.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

You're welcome.
Also, I'm officially dumb :)
Everyone learns something new everyday so no problem at all.
I found out that I can re-add torrents with original folder names, pause them and then change names in "Content" tab. Recheck will automatically happen and qB will find all files (which doesn't happens if you change folder name when re-adding torrent - qB will simply ignore existing files and start downloading new ones).
Changing folder name inside the torrent by using BEncode makes this torrent unrecognizable by trackers.
Thanks for sharing it for others who might not know it :).