3.2.0 problem in searching peers

Windows specific questions, problems.
gspbeetle

Re: 3.2.0 problem in searching peers

Post by gspbeetle »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
No problems here 3.2.0 RC1
[/quote]

Thats true, RC1-4 dont have any issues, but RCs didnt use the new lib and interface that the stable version currently running.

Settings are reseted on every setup, the only thing i have changed is the connection ports and removing the connection/speed limit.

Interestingly, RC 5 shows DHT 'disabled' and title is blanked if using magnet link.
However in release version, DHT shows 'working' again and title become hash, but still no help.

EDIT: After disable encryption, issue resolved. (although it looks more random to me and doesn't seem to make sense)

Current settings:
Listening port:
UPnP/NAT - disabled (not supported)
Connection limits:
Global maximum - 2000
Max per torrent - 100
Max upload slots - 20
Max upload per torrent - 10
Global rate limits
Upload - unlimited
Download - unlimited
Enable uTP - checked
(Others n/a, due to no rate limits)
Privacy:
DHT - checked
PeX - checked
LSD - checked
Encryption mode -> disabled
Advanced:
Max half open connections: 100
Last edited by gspbeetle on Sun May 24, 2015 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zaoshi

Post by Zaoshi »

Reporting in.

After changing settings my ratios are back to normal or so.
It seems numbers are a bit more random but I cannot say it's not my fault.

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-06-20 15.02.04.png
Last edited by Zaoshi on Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Nice, thanks for letting us know.

Don't forget to blur your downloads next time. I've done it for you this time :).

https://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,3473.0.html
- If you are posting an image of your qBittorrent client, please make sure to blur or delete the list of your torrents.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

ciaobaby wrote:
Half-open connection value.
0. Disabled.
Now THAT is definitely a problem setting!!!!

You NEED half-open connections .... .... Just not too many of them.
Ironically, I think it was between qBitTorrent 3.1.12 and 3.2.0 that Half-open connection value behavior was changed when set to 0.

With 3.1.12, 0 meant "no limit" -- make outgoing half-open connections as fast as possible.

With 3.2.0, 0 meant make none -- basically stopping ALL outgoing traffic, even POSSIBLY including DHT and tracker updates. (I'm not sure if that includes UDP-based trackers or DHT honestly, as those don't have normal half open states like TCP does!) That is useful only for very short-term troubleshooting, but it can be very nice to have for those testers that need it.
Last edited by Switeck on Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amethyst_igor

Post by amethyst_igor »

Okay, Houston, we have a problem.

I have been wrestling with 3.2 for about a week or two now on a beefy Windows 8.1 desktop with 1GB network speed, 8 GB RAM, lots of drive space and an i3-4160 processor. I've been tinkering with my router settings, restarting the router, all because 3.2, although it does work very well on occasion, gets into a tizzy sometimes, where no activity up/down occurs, and DHT isn't finding any peers. This is usually after a lengthy torrent session spanning 48+ hours and after rebooting the computer. Now there may be ports that remain open and that are continuing to transmit data even after qbittorrent closes and even when qbittorrent is not running. I think qbittorrent should close all open connections when it exits. That could be a bug.

Anyway, even when the computer is idle, and qbittorrent is not running, there seems to be hidden activity going on on the network's open ports, as judged by bytes being sent when no internet program is active. I can stop this by disabling the network, then re-enabling it. That seems to close all the open ports.

But, getting back into qbittorrent 3.2, I find the program is in a state where it forgets how to connect and just sits there at 0 upload and 0 download with 0 connections on DHT. That's when I have been investigating router settings, network settings, etc. all of which is very time-consuming.  I have set up NAT routing in my router to deliver the ports that qbittorrent needs to the precise computer on my network serving the torrents, so I don't think my router is the issue. But I will include screenshots of some relevant router settings if requested.

So in the end, after much experimentation, I have determined the way to fix this, always, is not by restarting the router, or power-cycling the router, or disable/reenable the network, or reboot the computer, or wait 24 hours. None of these measures fix the problem where qbittorrent won't download or upload.

No, the only way to fix qbittorrent is simply reinstall 3.12 directly over 3.2. Presto, everything works again.  I don't know why but something really seems to have changed between 3.12 and 3.2. I am going to have to stay with 3.12 for a longer period of time to determine whether 3.2 is the problem. If it is, then until some kind of acknowledge from the devs that they have fixed a bug that sounds like this, then I will stick with 3.12.

I don't know the ultimate cause but I do know one thing. 3.12 allows me to specify a different port for DHT. 3.2 does not. That may or may not be of importance.

Attached are some Qbittorrent settings that may be relevant to this problem.
Attachments
qb3.PNG
qb2.PNG
qb1.PNG
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Reduce half open connections to 10 or less.

Wet "Always announce" to on.
amethyst_igor

Post by amethyst_igor »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
Reduce half open connections to 10 or less.

Wet "Always announce" to on.
[/quote]

I bet those are good settings and good recommendations. I've done as you said. In 3.12. Not quite confident enough yet to make another plunge into the choppy waters of 3.2. If 3.12 works good for a week, then I made gather up enough courage to try 3.2 again and see if these settings make a difference.

I also enabled Passthrough on the router so that one particular computer, the torrenting one, gets incoming requests.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

[quote="amethyst_igor"]Anyway, even when the computer is idle, and qbittorrent is not running, there seems to be hidden activity going on on the network's open ports, as judged by bytes being sent when no internet program is active. I can stop this by disabling the network, then re-enabling it. That seems to close all the open ports.[/quote]That's probably because other peers and seeds still retry your ip address in an attempt to connect to your peer/seed even when you're not running qBitTorrent. DHT does the same thing -- your ip becomes an entry of "other DHT nodes to try" for peers/seeds, so they retry it in the hopes it comes back online.[quote="amethyst_igor"]I bet those are good settings and good recommendations.[/quote]Setting "Always announce to all trackers" to on isn't default because it can have bad effects if people are using it after adding lots of irrelevant trackers or if the torrent was specificially made with back-up and secondary trackers on different tiers that are ONLY meant to be tried if the main tracker is down. qBitTorrent will spam all of them, even if there's repeats or misspellings. Some trackers are already permanently down due to overloads...but their old web addresses still are being hit constantly by millions of old torrents that still list them.

So if you use that setting, please check whether the trackers are responding correctly and possibly even remove duplicates on torrents.
amethyst_igor

Post by amethyst_igor »

[quote="Switeck"]
[quote="amethyst_igor"]Anyway, even when the computer is idle, and qbittorrent is not running, there seems to be hidden activity going on on the network's open ports, as judged by bytes being sent when no internet program is active. I can stop this by disabling the network, then re-enabling it. That seems to close all the open ports.[/quote]That's probably because other peers and seeds still retry your ip address in an attempt to connect to your peer/seed even when you're not running qBitTorrent. DHT does the same thing -- your ip becomes an entry of "other DHT nodes to try" for peers/seeds, so they retry it in the hopes it comes back online.

Interesting...

[quote="amethyst_igor"]I bet those are good settings and good recommendations.[/quote]Setting "Always announce to all trackers" to on isn't default because it can have bad effects if people are using it after adding lots of irrelevant trackers or if the torrent was specificially made with back-up and secondary trackers on different tiers that are ONLY meant to be tried if the main tracker is down. qBitTorrent will spam all of them, even if there's repeats or misspellings. Some trackers are already permanently down due to overloads...but their old web addresses still are being hit constantly by millions of old torrents that still list them.

So if you use that setting, please check whether the trackers are responding correctly and possibly even remove duplicates on torrents.
[/quote]

I  think these settings seem helpful, but may not address the ultimate cause of the stalled torrents. I am sticking with 3.12 because I have not had any problems with that version so far.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I  think these settings seem helpful, but may not address the ultimate cause of the stalled torrents.
No setting that you can change can,  if there are no connectable peers YOU can do nothing about that.