few suggestions to improve the client

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
dellza

few suggestions to improve the client

Post by dellza »

1st i want to say thank you for making this, i moved here from utorrent, i got sick of how bad utorrent is getting it went from be a lightweight client to a program with tons of adds.

here are a few suggestions which i think could make the client a bit better.
  1. add a default label option to auto add a label when the torrent is added
  2. allow labels to be saved in a different place and not just sub folders
  3. change completed on and added on columns to be more like utorrents to help save column space and make it easier to read i.e. 1 week, 2 months, 5 years
  4. add a smaller context menu for a few columns like label and bandwidth limits like utorrent
  5. add option for select all, select none buttons and torrent content search to be hidden
  6. combined the columns status and done, like utorrent
  7. add a warning/info pop-up box for super seeding mode, me and a few others have been confused by this option, i thought at 1st is would increase the seed amount/speed of the torrent but it didn't infact it lowered it, i know why now after goggling, a tick-box would also be needed to stop this from being shown each time a person actives the option
  8. add a priority system for each torrent like the one for torrent content
  9. allow people to create plugins for the client
  10. move away from libtorrent, if libtorrent has a bug/problem so will qbittorrent, the main problem i have with this is the seeds/peers not showing correctly, its a known bug and is a very big problem for some people, i like to create torrents and seed them untill they have X amount of seeds then delete is and move on, its kind of hard to see how many seeds there are in qbittorrent infact a lot of my torrents show 0 but on the website it shows the real amount
  11. add auto fill in nameing for creating torrents, in utorrent when i create a torrent from a rar file called opensourcefile12.rar it will auto fill in the torrent name as opensourcefile12.rar.torrent but qbittorrent does not do this and i have to fill in the name by hand which is a big problem when creating a lot of torrents (i still have utorrent on my system coz of this)
  12. when opening the dir of a torrent via double click or right click open folder have it select the file
i know this is a big list and a lot of them will never come in to effect but it would be nice to have most of them in as i do think each one has a good reason to be implemented

thanks again for the client i bet its a lot of work
Last edited by dellza on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Re: few suggestions to improve the client

Post by ciaobaby »

add a priority system for each torrent like the one for torrent content
Turn on queueing.

and seed them untill they have X amount of seeds then delete is and move on
If your client is seeding you probably will not know how many other seeds there are.
dellza

Post by dellza »

Turn on queueing
thats not the same, having one torrent stop/queue just to have an other one download faster is not a good idea
If your client is seeding you probably will not know how many other seeds there are.
you should be able to see how many seeds there are on a torrent without having to check via the site, utorrent does this, i have already given a reason why i think qbittorrent should have this
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

you should be able to see how many seeds there are on a torrent without having to check via the site
Trackers do NOT need to send the seeding peer count to a client that is already seeding, AND tracker sites lie about the peer numbers as they cache peer IDs for a very long time and do not count some peers, you can't even trust their numbers if it says zero.

utorrent does this
No it doesn't, it caches the last number that it 'knew about' before your client became a seed and shows you that.
dellza

Post by dellza »

Trackers do NOT need to send the seeding peer count to a client that is already seeding
just because it does not have to does not mean it should not reasons have been listed why
tracker sites lie about the peer numbers as they cache peer IDs for a very long time and do not count some peers, you can't even trust their numbers if it says zero.
[/quote]

i trust my sites there not public ones, i do know that sites do this but the sites i am on have always downloaded when they say it has seeds
No it doesn't, it caches the last number that it 'knew about' before your client became a seed and shows you that.
torrents i have created and seeded that started with 0 seeds stay at 0 seeds in qbittorrent, in utorrent the number changes, even if the numbers are not 100% correct and are off by a few(because of update time) this should be added so people can clean up torrents that they dont want and/or dont need to seed anymore because there is a large enough seeds

i dont like to delete torrents that have less then 5 seeds but if its got more i am willing to delete, i dont know if they have 2 or 200 in qbittorrent

note: i have found that some trackers are updating the seeds but some are not
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

just because it does not have to does not mean it should not reasons have been listed why
https://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpeci ... r_Response
The tracker may choose to implement a more intelligent mechanism for peer selection when responding to a request. For instance, reporting seeds to other seeders could be avoided
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

i dont like to delete torrents that have less then 5 seeds but if its got more i am willing to delete, i dont know if they have 2 or 200 in qbittorrent
Monitor the download instead, when your client's contribution drops to zero, your participation is no longer needed. That is a far more reliable method than 'counting peers'.
dellza

Post by dellza »

Monitor the download instead, when your client's contribution drops to zero, your participation is no longer needed. That is a far more reliable method than 'counting peers'.
i think i am missing something here, were is client's contribution info, are u just saying when it stops seeding/uploading then get rid of it, coz thats no good, i want to keep a good ratio and i dont want the torrents i create to die

not 100% sure on what ur telling me to keep an eye on
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

In that case, keep it seeding until you reach the ratio you want.

Either way you never actually need to know peer counts.