[Open destination folder] Could it highlight the file when Explorer opens?

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
Inwoods

[Open destination folder] Could it highlight the file when Explorer opens?

Post by Inwoods »

I've seen this happen in other programs (Firefox's downloads, for example.)  It would be handy if the thing a torrent is downloading was highlighted in explorer.

Often, the directory has a long list of similarly named files.  As it stands, it seems like half a feature.
skribb

Re: [Open destination folder] Could it highlight the file when Explorer opens?

Post by skribb »

Good idea Inwoods, I second this
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

There is a clue to what it does in the name, it says "Open destination folder" NOT "Show file in folder"

Why on earth would anyone expect it to do something different?
Inwoods

Post by Inwoods »

Not sure why the snark, Ciao.  I'd be fine if the name changed too.

Is there a good underlying reason the behavior is not closer Firefox?  From a user perspective it's far more convenient.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Because I fail to understand why people do not realise that if it states a particular action, that is what it IS going to do. Just because Firefox get it wrong doesn't mean everyone else should. Chrome and Opera use "Show in folder" and do not highlight or select the file.

What you are selecting in the task list is NOT any particular file, if you want to get to the file directly it IS done from the "Content" tab and if the task list did precisely as it says, it would actually take you to the location of the metadata file(s) because that is what the caption actually refers to.

Sure, it maybe semantics, it is also about clarity "Open containing folder" is a specific statement for the action that is taken, it "does what it says on the tin".
Inwoods

Post by Inwoods »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
Because I fail to understand why people do not realise that if it states a particular action, that is what it IS going to do. Just because Firefox get it wrong
[/quote]

I don't know why you seem upset, Ciao.  Every time I've run into you here (or at the uTorrent forums) it gets ugly.

It's not "wrong" to do it one way or the other; it's at the preference of the designer for the convenience of the users.  If you have a good reason it should not be done this way (and it seems you do!) do you have to be so snarky about it?

I left the uTorrent community because I was hoping to avoid the toxicity you brought to it.  It was impossible to get help when uTorrent had problems (they were terrible at feedback and patch notes.)  Now you're here.

I want to help the program.  I want to see the forums as a positive place.  And every time I try, you slap me in the face.  Please, please, tone down the snark a bit.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I don't know why you seem upset, Ciao.
I'm not 'upset' at anything or any one, I simply point out facts that others apparently miss or chose to ignore. Any 'emotional' aspect is purely in the imagination of the reader.
okan

Post by okan »

i agree, and i just created a username to post this suggestion myself. change the name of it to "show in folder" if need be. this is the one thing that has been driving me nuts with my switch, after figuring out why i was getting the i/o errors.
Inwoods

Post by Inwoods »

No Github expert, but it seems they are working on it over here: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/pull/3705
dragons4life

Post by dragons4life »

I've asked for this before, but I can't remember the answers I got.

[quote="ciaobaby"]Chrome  do not highlight or select the file.
[/quote]
It does for me?