Incorrectly Reporting Completion, Must Recheck Several Times

Windows specific questions, problems.
URFIR3D

Incorrectly Reporting Completion, Must Recheck Several Times

Post by URFIR3D »

I've been using qBittorrent for some time now and it's been great. This issue started yesterday and I was hoping someone could help me out. I start a torrent and wait for it to finish, I'm downloading the entire torrent not a partial selection of files. After some time it states that it's completed, when I try to use the files it's immediately clear that there is some corruption or something is missing. So I did a Force Recheck and it stated that I only had 96% of the files, so I resume till it reaches 100% again. To make sure that it really downloaded everything I did another recheck and this time it said I only had to 98% of the files;  I rinse and repeat to 99.4%, 99.7% and so on until it reaches 100%. The rechecking is accurate because if I use the files before the recheck states 100% they won't work correctly. I resumed it again and did another recheck and then it had 100% and I was finally able to use the files correctly. Nothing is modifying the files in the folder (at least nothing should be). Some of these torrents are 30GB, so doing rechecks takes quite a while, and doing 7 of them just to get the torrent to finish is quite annoying.

Anyone have a fix or know of something that might be causing this? I didn't use to have to recheck files, but now it seems like I have to recheck them and resume the download several times just to get it to fully download something.
Last edited by URFIR3D on Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Re: Incorrectly Reporting Completion, Must Recheck Several Times

Post by ciaobaby »

Something on your machine is interfering with the data either during or after download.

What does the wasted: value show? (Properties -> General)
URFIR3D

Post by URFIR3D »

Not sure what would be, I do have AVAST AV, but it shouldn't be messing stuff up. It never has before.

Now that I've run the recheck about 8 times and resumed on the same torrent I have a Waisted value of 0B.

A different torrent (1.8GB in Size) that said 100% but currently says 96.7% after recheck has a wasted value of 0B after the recheck. It seems rechecking resets the wasted value.
I resumed the torrent till it said 100% again and I got a wasted value of "496.1KB", did another recheck and it's at 100% and 0B wasted.

Edit: I just downloaded process explorer and will try to see what else might be using the file.
Last edited by URFIR3D on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
URFIR3D

Post by URFIR3D »

Ok, I just downloaded a 9.1GB file. It said 100% and I looked at "Wasted" and it said 14.2 MB. I then ran recheck and it said 98.1 Completed. I kept using Process Explorer the entire time and the only process that was using that file was qBitorrent.exe. Screenshots attached.
Attachments
After Recheck.png
Before Recheck.png
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

Are you  using Windows 10 by any chance?
URFIR3D

Post by URFIR3D »

I am on Windows 8.1

Doing some more testing, I'm noticing that this is happening on one of my external USB drives, but not the other. I will perform some disk scans and fix some bad sectors and see if that resolves the issue. I will report back my findings.
URFIR3D

Post by URFIR3D »

FIXED: Thought I'd share the fix here in case anyone runs into this in the future. So after noticing that this happens on ONE drive instead of all of them I decided to run some disk repairs. I started with Glary Tools disk repairs to check for bad sectors / fixes etc.

Then I ran chkdsk on the drive a few times with different parameters including /scan /offlinescanandfix /x

Now it's working fine. Seems like some bad sectors were being written onto by the torrents and when I'd recheck it would realize that it couldn't read that stuff and try again. Now it's working fine again with 1 download. When I recheck once it stays at 100% and all is better.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Thanks for sharing, and welcome by the way.