Not working with proxy

Windows specific questions, problems.
squipple

Not working with proxy

Post by squipple »

I recently reformatted my machine and suddenly can't get proxies to work. Torrents work fine if I have proxy turned off, but when I add one, all trackers say "not contacted yet".
This is Win 10. Last install was also Win 10. I thought it was the proxy but I've probably tried 20 proxies now from various resources, many from hidemyass. As a troubleshooting route, maybe someone has a known working free proxy I can test?
ciaobaby

Re: Not working with proxy

Post by ciaobaby »

You cannot forward a port through a proxy server, so incoming response from peers and trackers do not get through.
squipple

Post by squipple »

I don't quite understand.
If proxies don't work, what's the proxy setting for in the connection settings?
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

It's there for people who know what proxy servers are, what they do, how they work and how to avoid problems when using one, and if you don't have that knowledge but decide you want to or need to use it anyway then you have to do some research to find those things out. There are several threads on the 'best' ones to use and how to set them up, plus Google has lots of information to mouse.
squipple

Post by squipple »

I've used proxies in the past, have googled how to use them specific to this program, and have entered all the information required for one to work. I've confirmed I've done it correctly according to many instructions on how to do so. Not only that, but it was working just prior to my reinstallation of the OS. My router, connection, or modem hasn't changed, just the reinstallation. So, I'm trying to troubleshoot the problem. My questions are, one, is there some setting I can check within the OS wherein it prevents the client from working with proxies, and two, if something has happened with proxies wherein they won't work, or need to work differently now so I wanted to know if anyone had a known working proxy I could try. I've tried many recommended 'best' ones, but none that anyone's confirmed with something like "I'm using this one right now with v3.3.3 and it's working"
One outlet of research is to ask in these forums. If you can't answer those questions or provide help, as I'm sure you or anyone would appreciate, please refrain from condescension.
jamesg76

Post by jamesg76 »

I think what 'you can't accept incoming connections' means is that when you use a proxy, you can connect to another system, but they can not connect to you. They would have to connect to you if for instance they are firewalled or behind a proxy themselves. Using a proxy is like being firewalled. (If I understand this stuff right, I'm no pro)
but none that anyone's confirmed with something like "I'm using this one right now with v3.3.3 and it's working"
Using qbittorrent for a while now, including 3.3.4 and torguard works. Did you select appropriate SOCKS4/SOCKS5/etc option, change the port (mine has to be 1090, supposedly comcast blocks 1080), enter the ip address, enter user/password? I am also using 'anonymous mode' and have verified that all connections are going to my proxy in windows resource monitor.
squipple

Post by squipple »

Yeah, I'm putting in all the information as I normally would...socks5, IP, and port. I'll get something like torguard if needed, but I've always simply used free proxies like listed on hidemyass or freeproxylists for years and suddenly they don't work. Found it odd. 
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

If you can't answer those questions or provide help, as I'm sure you or anyone would appreciate, please refrain from condescension.
I HAVE to be condescending because I do not know your level of knowledge and ability, so one has to assume little or no knowledge until it is proven otherwise,

If I was explaining diesel engine repairs and maintenance to you, should I start with the inner workings of a fuel injection pump or tell you wear overalls and use a good quality barrier cream on your hands?

Actually I probably could tell you what the basic problem may be but I would require FAR more information that you have provided so far, and if you learn a bit more about proxy server you WOULD know what information to provide to allow for a sensible and accurate answer. Guessing with limited information is never a good idea and therefore serves no purpose. You provide the information and the guessing starts become informed suggestions.

The fact that 3.3.3 works suggests that the listen port has changed and there is no port conflict at the proxy server (that's a guess by the way based on a little more information)