Will not load megadata

Windows specific questions, problems.
posta_edisim

Will not load megadata

Post by posta_edisim »

Please have a look at the picture I attached. It won't retrieve the megadata. It wont load the content files of the torrent for me to select which one to download. If I click on OK then it just won't download anything  - and i am talking files that are very popular with a lot of seeders.

I have tried with uTorrent but I get the same issue.

Can you please HELP - I have windows 10 and Avast. everything was working fine then all of a sudden this issue started
Attachments
dfwefrwe.png
posta_edisim

Re: Will not load megadata

Post by posta_edisim »

here is what happens after I click ok ... It says downloading megadata and it won't move
Attachments
Untitccx.png
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

[quote="posta_edisim"]
megadata
[/quote]
*metadata

[quote="posta_edisim"]
and i am talking files that are very popular with a lot of seeders.

I have tried with uTorrent but I get the same issue.

Can you please HELP - I have windows 10 and Avast. everything was working fine then all of a sudden this issue started
[/quote]

Check to see if avast has firewalled qbittorent.

I did a quick google for your torrent by exact name, found 1 torrent that matches with hash 800F154D2178B07109B07B516428A10A97EB7793
If thats the hash your torrent client reports for the file it is NOT well seeded, its dead and you're the only leacher.
If the website reported it as well seeded then the website is most lilkely using old scrape data.

Instead of adding via magnet link try downloading the .torrent file from wherever you got it and adding that instead (remove the torrent from qbittorent first and re-add it via .torrent file)
^Will give you torrent metadata, check the trackers tab after doing that, if they all report 0 or 1 then its most likely a dead torrent.
Last edited by KitKat on Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
posta_edisim

Post by posta_edisim »

As I specified in the original topic, im downloading things like The Revenant, the big short, etc. with THOUSANDS of seeders.

The one that is in the original post of this topic is just one of the many that I have tried
posta_edisim

Post by posta_edisim »

p.s. avast has NOT firewalled qBittorrent because I am not using Avast firewall. im using windows 10 firewall and i checked, qbittorrent is included in the exceptions
posta_edisim

Post by posta_edisim »

from pirate bay, how DO I  download the torrent rather than using the magnet ?
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

[quote="posta_edisim"]
As I specified in the original topic, im downloading things like The Revenant, the big short, etc. with THOUSANDS of seeders.

The one that is in the original post of this topic is just one of the many that I have tried
[/quote]

[quote="posta_edisim"]
p.s. avast has NOT firewalled qBittorrent because I am not using Avast firewall. im using windows 10 firewall and i checked, qbittorrent is included in the exceptions
[/quote]

Check port settings if you require a forwarded port (behind a router/weird configuration)
Try running qbittorent as admin (file perm issue quick and dirty fix)

Metadata from magnet links requires other clients to give it to you, adding the .torrent file starts you with metadata.
Could you try adding a torrent via .torrent file and seeing if it downloads or gets stuck at 0.00%?
If its a private tracker & if these are private torrents check if your passkey is correct?
[quote="posta_edisim"]
from pirate bay, how DO I  download the torrent rather than using the magnet ?[/quote]
Piratebay doesnt host .torrent files anymore IIRC.

What you can do to quickly find the same torrent as the one you've added (if its public) is to go to qbittorent, select the torrent then select the general tab

Copy the "torrent hash" and paste it into this search engine.
https://torrentproject.se/

Should usually return a matching .torrent file if it hasnt been added in the past 24h.
That website archives/spiders websites like kat.cr for torrent files and indexes them.

/e: qbittorent just had a version update, try updating and seeing if that resolves the issue
Last edited by KitKat on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

im downloading things like The Revenant, the big short, etc. with THOUSANDS of seeders.
Doesn't necessarily mean that there are any free upload slots in the swarm that will allow for metadata download, all the seeds could be fully loaded (you cannot tell if they are)  and any peers may be using the "tit for tat" algorithm and because your client has no pieces to pass on they are not likely to send metadata.
Using the "add new torrent" dialogue can reduce problems with metadata retrieval as that is not subject to any limiting that you have set in your clients options.
sparky64

Post by sparky64 »

I have the same issue on win7 only since upgrading to v3.3.4 - was working great before.
Tried all the suggestions above.
now - to find the previous version...
sparky64

Post by sparky64 »

Interestingly - after running v3.3.3 setup over the v3.3.4 install and "migrating settings" - everything is working. :)
(I.E. the same torrent files and / or magnet links start downloading quickly...)

Tried running v3.3.4 again and same issue - stuck at "Downloading metadata".

Perhaps its a glitch with 3.3.4??
posta_edisim

Post by posta_edisim »

[quote="KitKat"]

[/quote]

that worked for me. It's now downloading

thx
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Perhaps its a glitch with 3.3.4??
In the  libtorrent library that is used by qbittorrent as the protocol engine, Help -> About -> Libraries to identify it.
sparky64

Post by sparky64 »

Thanks for the replies.
I tried using torrentproject.se and the hash without luck. 
I'm currently back to v3.3.3 - will try v3.3.4 later this eve and let you know what's in the libraries.
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

[quote="sparky64"]
I tried using torrentproject.se and the hash without luck. 
[/quote]
Just to clarify (because of another qbittorent quirk) you REMOVED the torrent from qbittorent THEN RE-ADDED it via .torrent file?
Or was it just not listed on that engine?

Off the top of my head the only (windows) related libtorrent issue that can cause this i can think of would be the (hard to replicate/im unaffected) UDP binding bug.
I'm not sure of its status in qbittorent 3.3.4 because a patch for it WAS merged into libtorrent RC 1 1 1 before 3.3.4 was released, but we dont use libtorrent 1.1, and im not sure whether it was backported.
If when you load the client your DHT number get stuck at a low (sub hundred most likely 0) number and NOTHING works at all this is likely the problem.
(provided its not firewalled by something, always good to check that ;p)

The fix for it is to go into options and change the listening port.
More detailed instructions see here:
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... -201619521

This is the related github merge that resolves the issue
https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/pull/494
^from sledgehammers reply im assuming this is still a problem with qbittorent.

/e:
[quote="posta_edisim"]
[quote="KitKat"]
[/quote]

that worked for me. It's now downloading
thx
[/quote]
You're welcome, glad to help.

/e2: Another possible solution for this:
[quote="calx"]
options - advanced - network interface - any interface.
apply, restart.

should work
[/quote]
Last edited by KitKat on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.