Previewing a torrent or using MediaInfo...

Windows specific questions, problems.
latheofheaven

Previewing a torrent or using MediaInfo...

Post by latheofheaven »

Hey Guys!

I don't understand why I can almost NEVER preview a torrent or get the full info from MediaInfo even though sometimes I have like 50% of the bloody thing!  WTH...???!

Not that I'm looking back fondly in any way at UTorrent (GOD Forbid!) but, I remember that I ALWAYS could preview the file with only 1% or even sometimes less of the file.  Also I could read all the info with MediaInfo.

Am I missing something...?  Usually I check the box 'DL 1st and Last pieces first'  Doesn't that enable the file to be read or previewed really soon?

Appreciate any input on this.

Thanks!
KitKat

Re: Previewing a torrent or using MediaInfo...

Post by KitKat »

[quote="latheofheaven"]
Hey Guys!

I don't understand why I can almost NEVER preview a torrent or get the full info from MediaInfo even though sometimes I have like 50% of the bloody thing!  WTH...???!

Not that I'm looking back fondly in any way at UTorrent (GOD Forbid!) but, I remember that I ALWAYS could preview the file with only 1% or even sometimes less of the file.  Also I could read all the info with MediaInfo.

Am I missing something...?  Usually I check the box 'DL 1st and Last pieces first'  Doesn't that enable the file to be read or previewed really soon?

Appreciate any input on this.

Thanks!
[/quote]

If using standard/unmodified version 3.3.4 right click the torrent and select the option "Download first and last piece first"
Wait for it to download the data from the end of the file, THEN put it into sequential mode.
Theres a problem with just checking both (sequential overrides first&last piece download)

Atm im using a fork of the master that merges these options (sequential gets priority 6, first & last gets priority 7) to make this less of a hassle for myself.
If you use linux i can send you my client if you'd like?
latheofheaven

Post by latheofheaven »

Hey, appreciate the fast reply mate, thanks!

Well, I think you are quite a bit above my level of understanding and I don't use Linux (although I DID try to once  :) )  But, I will do what you suggested and select 'DL 1st and last pieces first' and then I guess select the 'DL sequentially' one next.

The only thing I don't understand is where you said that between these two actions I'm supposed to 'wait until the end piece is DL'd'...???  How do I know when that has taken place?

Thanks again!
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

[quote="latheofheaven"]
Hey, appreciate the fast reply mate, thanks!

Well, I think you are quite a bit above my level of understanding and I don't use Linux (although I DID try to once  :) )  But, I will do what you suggested and select 'DL 1st and last pieces first' and then I guess select the 'DL sequentially' one next.

The only thing I don't understand is where you said that between these two actions I'm supposed to 'wait until the end piece is DL'd'...???  How do I know when that has taken place?

Thanks again!
[/quote]
You're welcome, to answer your question simply.
You would select the torrent you've set to download first and last piece for and look at the "progress bar"
You should see a complete blue chunk at the end of the torrent, when there STOPs been green pieces near it then it has finished taking the end of the torrent and you can set it to download sequentially.

If you enable this setting IMMEDIATELY upon starting the torrent the torrent progress will be around 1-2% when it finishes downloading the end piece.
As the setting tells the client to prioritise downloading 1% from the start and 1% from the end.

The reason for you needing this is because some file formats (mp4 by default does this) store the "metadata" required to stream the file at the END of the file instead of at the start.
So you can have 90% of the actual file but if you're missing the "metadata" your video player will not know HOW to play the file.

I'll edit in a better screenshot to show what i mean for the progress bar in a few min..

/e: It should look similar to the screenshot posted above, you only need the "end" part to look like that, the start will download anyway when you turn on sequential downloading.

/e2: REMEMBER TO SEED, DOWNLOADING TORRENTS LIKE THIS IS BAD FOR THE SWARM HEALTH
HAVE A NICE DAY
Last edited by KitKat on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
latheofheaven

Post by latheofheaven »

Thanks!  Appreciate you taking the time to add all these details.  I don't quite get the progress bar thing, BUT... if you say that at 2% the file's 'end' part will be DL'd, then  I will try that.  Weird though... because the other torrent that I was asking you about I DID select 'DL the 1st and last piece first' AND the progress was well along, and it still wasn't showing any metadata or playing.  So, I don't quite know why that didn't work.  Oh, maybe because I didn't choose 'sequential AFTER that...  I ONLY chose the other one and that was it.

Also, I did NOT know about the metadata being at the end of the file.  Interesting...

Anyway, I will try that from now on and see how it works.

Also, you mention to 'Seed'.  I promise...  I ALWAYS do!

Cheers!
Last edited by latheofheaven on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

[quote="latheofheaven"]
I don't quite get the progress bar thing
[/quote]
Pictures are worth a 1000 words, this one is brought to you by china's censors.
http://i.imgur.com/FrHHjuj.png

In that picture i do NOT have the end pieces of the file. As there is a white chunk there.
White = Missing/Not Downloaded Pieces
Green = Partial/Downloading Pieces
Blue = Downloaded Pieces

[quote="latheofheaven"]
Weird though... because the other torrent that I was asking you about I DID select 'DL the 1st and last piece first' AND the progress was well along, and it still wasn't showing any metadata or playing.  So, I don't quite know why that didn't work.  Oh, maybe because I didn't choose 'sequential AFTER that...  I ONLY chose the other one and that was it.
[/quote]
If its a multifile torrent (for example a season) there isnt a simple way with the current qbittorent to get the first and last pieces of each file. It is possible to implement however.

If you're downloading a single video file then here are steps for you to get it to stream.
1. Install VLC or some other media player that supports streaming content.
2. Add the torrent to qbittorent
3. Immediately select "download first and last piece" for the torrent.
4. Wait til the "progress bar" has a "blue chunk" at the end or for the torrent to get to 2-3%
5. Select "Download in sequential order" for the torrent.
6. Wait for the torrent to get to about 10% or(preferably) for the download remaining time to be LOWER than the videos playback time.
(eg time remaining 15minutes, the video is a 30minute episode, its immediately streamable after getting the first 2-3%)
7. Open the video file with VLC/other media player that supports streaming and enjoy your movie/show.

/e: RIP the torrent im trying to download ;( only 80% available
Last edited by KitKat on Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
latheofheaven

Post by latheofheaven »

Ah, I think I have it now :)

Sorry to be so slow; appreciate the patient explanations!

Cheers mate!