For the generic offtopic chit-chat
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Is uTorrent Snubbing Other Clients?

Post by Nemo »

Hi there,

I saw accidently after I just started a torrent this:

Weird to see only Azureus users uploading/uploaded to me instead uTorrent users. Even if uTorrent users start to upload it won't last long and stops after few seconds :( ..

Any one also experienced this? Damn unfair behaviour against other clients :x !
ironcross

Re: Is uTorrent Snubbing Other Clients?

Post by ironcross »

I've never seen so many Azureus users at the same time :shock: There is something wrong... :roll:
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Yepp, its really strange..
res0r9lm

Post by res0r9lm »

I've been using qbittorrent-2.9.3 on linux one site I frequent there is an uploader using utorrent 3.0 and without anyone in swarm can't download faster than 15KB/s uploader is on dedicated server too but other torrents where uploader is using rtorrent and transmission have no problems with speed and no ip filter is being used.

yesterday same thing happened on a different torrent upload by same uploader until another leecher got on the torrent lucky to get more than 15KB/s when my connection max is 3.2MB/s
Last edited by res0r9lm on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
loki

Post by loki »

I wonder, does it have anything to do with encryption protocol?

I would think that both would use the same if not compatible protocol at this point but maybe they changed something major in their 3.0
res0r9lm

Post by res0r9lm »

I don't think so. If they were incomparable they shouldn't connect at all. I download another torrent from the same uploader and got same 15KB/s but there was a total of 5 peer 2 other utorrent 3.0 users and 1 transmission and 1 rtorrent user what I noticed is the utorrent users were over 80% done but they never uploaded a single piece to me but had no problem downloading from me. The torrent was 5GB so I find it strange. 
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I tried a week +- ago uTorrent 3.0 and saw that it prefers to connect to uTorrent users at the first place, atleast that's what I saw in the peer list. Compared to qBittorrent which connects to various other clients also, for example libtorrent/shareaza/mediaget/opera and such, I didn't saw these pop up there in uTorrent and neither I saw qBittorrent in the list of peers which is a bit strange indeed. Used it for 1 day for test purposes but I quickly went back to my great qBittorrent :). As qBittorrent user I can say that I can download and upload normally with uTorrent users but can't say the same thing when im using uTorrent. Not sure why that is or maybe im just imagining those things :P but its my experience with it after testing and I surely know im not the only one who thinks like this, saw almost same topic at Halite's forum also long time ago. I can confirm your experiences res0r9lm I had the exact same thing.
BlackIceSpain

Post by BlackIceSpain »

well, necroposting a little, isnt "rumored" that utorrent prefers uTP connections instead of classic ones (and also uTP connections establish connection faster, thus taken upload slots?) so they promote uTP usage instead of BT.

And since utorrent is the only uTP client on windows i think... (waiting for libtorrent to release uTP :P, or at least find some qBittorrent build which has trunks and works), it caused problems with a few trackers which banned utorrent because of this, and also its a little monopolistic behavior, but i think in a future it will be a good thing for every1 (at least if uTP does what it promises).
Last edited by BlackIceSpain on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.