Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Windows specific questions, problems.

Do you think qBittorrent's UI needs considerable improvement?

Yes, it needs a complete overhaul.
36%
No, just minor fixes.
53%
No, keep it as is.
11%

Total votes: 110

Calidude

Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Post by Calidude »

Hey guys, been using qBittorrent for a while now and I love the performance and the compatibility with Windows but there's one thing that bugs me. The UI seems a bit dated and somewhat unrefined. The settings page could be simplified and streamlined a bit more, especially. I'd like to introduce more people to this client away from uTorrent but they all complain that they don't like the UI and I can't say I disagree. Is there any work being done on this? Does anybody agree with my sentiments?
Last edited by Calidude on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironcross

Re: Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Post by ironcross »

As for me, the UI and Options are clean and very simple. The good thing is that all options in the View menu can be hidden. I hide the Top tool bar, Search engine, RSS Reader, etc. (i don't use any of the things in the View menu) and keep my QB as a simple window with a list of my torrents. General, Trackers, Peers, HTTP Sources and Content are hidden too. I don't know how it can be more simplified than that.
Last edited by ironcross on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="ironcross"]
As for me, the UI and Options are clean and very simple. The good thing is that all options in the View menu can be hidden. I hide the Top tool bar, Search engine, RSS Reader, etc. (i don't use any of the things in the View menu) and keep my QB as a simple window with a list of my torrents. General, Trackers, Peers, HTTP Sources and Content are hidden too. I don't know how it can be more simplified than that.
[/quote]
Personally I think the UI needs refinement. It looks heavy and the icons are badly colored and rather "tacked on" than designed with care. The "add" and "delete" buttons look out of place more than anything, and they're too small. The colors of the "paused" "active" and "inactive" categories look weird, and the "search" tab's binoculars icon looks more like a 8 bit videogame creature that you're supposed to shoot with a gun. Most of all, the UI is really just too gray and angular. The color scheme should be more blueish and the UI should be more rounded and smooth for Windows.

There's a lot of wasted space and needlessly scrolling options in the options menu, and the more sophisticated icons there are a stark contrast to the bad icons on the UI.

It doesn't feel like a "modern" client, if I could sum it all up in one sentence. I love the performance but the UI needs an update.
Last edited by Calidude on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

The old toolbar with the blue orbs was better, indeed.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

First off nice idea with this topic Calidude, good way to learn the thoughts of others about the gui :). Now my opinion about this is that I like the gui and don't have any problems with it. Usability is good; I can find everything, simple, easy, that's how it feels also. But changing the look so it gets a bit more modern gui would be nice I think but not too much changing. I agree about the icons, empty spaces here and there and other minor little things which can be improved indeed. So I voted for ''No, just minor fixes.'' cause that is exactly what im thinking about it.
loki

Post by loki »

The label for "progress" in the content tab needs to be updated... and before you say, it's already posted in the bug tracker, just been ignored. I can't be the only one with this bug...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/qbittorrent/+bug/926475
Last edited by loki on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Yes I have that too showing -1 at the column progress label. Haven't even noticed till I checked it right now :P.
qmax

Post by qmax »

I would really like to see the torrent-filter text box in its own toolbar, so I can drag it and position it where ever, independent of the toolbar buttons. Each toolbar (buttons, filter-box) should be able to view/hide independently also.

Or just having completely customizable toolbar content and positioning a la firefox would be really awesome.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

qBittorrent 3.0 should see some kind of UI refresh, no?
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

Wow, its been a year since this thread and qBittorrent looks the exact same. Anybody know if qBittorrent will ever see a UI refresh during the 3.X series?

I don't know how many people agree, but qBittorrent could use a more modern look.
Last edited by Calidude on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
tekko

Post by tekko »

I rather the developers spend their time on bugs fixing and functionality improvements than to redesign the UI since they're quite busy.

If the UI is to be redesigned, new bugs will be created most of the time.

BTW, the left panel was better before Chris made the change last time.
Last edited by tekko on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

Depends what you mean by new design.
Qt css support? Dunno if anybody is gonna figure out how to make them unless we provide some styles on our own.
New icons? Licensing problems all over.
Compete UI overhaul? Shitload of subclassing. Really not worth it. I also pity you if you enjoy typical windows applications where developers just HAVE to make a non-standard UI (TuneUp Utilites for example).

And I guess this will never happen anyway without a draft.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="tekko"]I rather the developers spend their time on bugs fixing and functionality improvements than to redesign the UI since they're quite busy.[/quote]
+1
[quote="tekko"]If the UI is to be redesigned, new bugs will be created most of the time.[/quote]
+1
[quote="tekko"]BTW, the left panel was better before Chris made the change last time.[/quote]
+1
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="Dayman"]
Depends what you mean by new design.
[/quote]

I just want it to look less drab and more modern and polished. qBittorrent 3.0.9 feels unfinished and like it belongs on Windows 98 instead of Windows 7. Deluge 1.3.6 and Halite 0.3.4 are examples of open source clients that look great on Windows.

Furthermore, the Linux version of qBittorrent looks better than the Windows version. It should be equally good looking.

[quote="tekko"]
I rather the developers spend their time on bugs fixing and functionality improvements than to redesign the UI since they're quite busy.[/quote]

Normally, I would agree, but I would argue that UI design adds to the functionality by enhancing ease of use and making it clear where everything is, especially in the options menu, which is very cluttered.

[quote="tekko"]If the UI is to be redesigned, new bugs will be created most of the time.[/quote]

Only comestic ones.
Last edited by Calidude on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seedthis

Post by Seedthis »

Hmmmm honestly, i like qBt like it is right now. I use to like super fancy trolololz interfaces (and still do for some apps) but now that i'm studying to be a network and telecom tech (hmmmm yummy cisco routers), i'm starting to think differently. What i value the most with qBt is the fact that it is functionnal. I don't look at the GUI all day long, i simply use it to check the state of my torrents when i'm at home, otherwise i use Transdroid. When i have to use the GUI, it doesn't get in my way and that's the principal thing.

qBt looks better on Linux -> YES, but i wouldn't like qBt to look the same on Windows. It's exactly what some iOS developpers do when they port their apps to Android. They try to mimic iOS interfaces by using non standard stuff and the result in terms of performance is often bad (a good example is 1Password Reader on Android).