qBittorent won't close

Windows specific questions, problems.
flamierd

Re: qBittorent won't close

Post by flamierd »

My problem seemed to be closing the GUI window vice using the exit command.
Ornlu

Post by Ornlu »

I have the same issue. qbittorrent doesn't close manually. It will disappear from tray but I have to go to task manager and end process there.

I've tried (with no success):
- Clearing all finished torrents
- Emptying the torrent list completely
- Pausing torrents before I close
- Checking settings to determine if something interferes, couldn't figure out anything.
- Tried clean reinstall

This happens 100% of the time regardless of what I do. The only consistent way to shut down qbittorrent is to go to task manager and end the process. Otherwise, I'll just have to do it after trying to close it.

- If I go File->Exit still happens.
- If I X out (setting to close qbittorrent to tray turned off) still happens
- If I right-click on tray icon and click Exit still happens.
- If I try to shut down the computer without shutting down qbittorrent first (through end process) Windows will tell me that qbittorrent needs time to save before the computer can shut down. It remains in this state forever, meaning I have to manually tell Windows to override this.

I'm on Windows 7 64x Professional. I am using qbittorrent 3.3.12 (64-bit)
sensualfreespirit

Post by sensualfreespirit »

So I've been keeping an eye on this & it seems to be closing now. At least it doesn't appear to be in my task manager.

Maybe it was fixed in an update?
Ornlu

Post by Ornlu »

No, I have the latest version. Still happening.
Bait

Post by Bait »

This has begun happening to me in the past few days.

Win7, 64bit and qbit 4.1.1

However not only does only the GUI close, I can't go to processes and manually kill. Nothing happens when I try. Over and over and over. I have never even heard of a process that ignores a shutdown command completely. There's no popup box, there's nothing. It just ignores the command completely.

Sometimes I can start a new process, but the previous qbit process stays active as well, taking up resources. If I quit the new program, I have to force close that one in processes, which is possible, but the old one stays active no matter what. I have to reboot windows to get rid of it.

I use VPN if that matters at all. Not sure how it would, but there it is.

Can we finally get a fix for this? I see people have been reporting it for ages.

EDIT: I noticed it was taking more memory even after I closed it, so that means it is still running in the background, right? That's not very comforting to know a program is running when it shouldn't. I also forgot to mention I have 239 torrents running if that matters.
Last edited by Bait on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sensualfreespirit

Wow Bait, your computer & style sound JUST like me & I use a VPN too LOL

I think mine got fixed somehow, but it may have only been after I got a new computer.

Honestly I haven't checked in ages & my QB is almost always running anyway.

[quote="Bait"]
This has begun happening to me in the past few days.

Win7, 64bit and qbit 4.1.1

However not only does only the GUI close, I can't go to processes and manually kill. Nothing happens when I try. Over and over and over. I have never even heard of a process that ignores a shutdown command completely. There's no popup box, there's nothing. It just ignores the command completely.

Sometimes I can start a new process, but the previous qbit process stays active as well, taking up resources. If I quit the new program, I have to force close that one in processes, which is possible, but the old one stays active no matter what. I have to reboot windows to get rid of it.

I use VPN if that matters at all. Not sure how it would, but there it is.

Can we finally get a fix for this? I see people have been reporting it for ages.

EDIT: I noticed it was taking more memory even after I closed it, so that means it is still running in the background, right? That's not very comforting to know a program is running when it shouldn't. I also forgot to mention I have 239 torrents running if that matters.
[/quote]
AU4U

Post by AU4U »

[quote="Ornlu"]
[/quote]

Latest version here as well.
Wont close thru task manager as well.
0 CPU used but lots of RAM taken up.
Shut down PC and restart is the only way I can get rid of this nightmare.
This is a bug.
A bad one.
Bait

Post by Bait »

[quote="AU4U"]
[quote="Ornlu"]
[/quote]

Latest version here as well.
Wont close thru task manager as well.
0 CPU used but lots of RAM taken up.
Shut down PC and restart is the only way I can get rid of this nightmare.
This is a bug.
A bad one.
[/quote]
God it's so annoying. I just reinstalled qbit today, and I can confirm it's the same whether it's the 32bit version or the 64bit version for me. Can we please for the love of god fix this. I would really rather not want to use another torrent client. I quickly tested out both Deluge, and utorrent, but I dislike them both immensely, so please don't force me to go looking for something else. This problem has been reported upon for 2 years now. Isn't it time someone took a hard look at it?
Orpheus

Post by Orpheus »

After i closed Qbittorrent normally, it stays in the processes, but not eating up that much ram, than normally would.
I can't start Qbittorrent, nor kill it via process explorer.
I just noticed that long after closing bittorrent, something like 30+ minutes i was still seeding some torrents on a private tracker, less and less as time goes on. (this is kind of normal, but not sure what time after closing Qb is considered normal)
After that tracker showed 0 seeds by me i could restart Qbittorrent, but could not kill the process still.
I have ~900 torrents in total, some somewhat big.

Another wierd problem i started having recently, not sure if it's related to this problem:
I had the green connection icon on fresh windows start on the bottom before closing Qb, now after restarting it i have the yellow icon. Only a computer restart fixes it, whatever it is..

Oh and we should report these bugs properly https://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,3505.0.html
Last edited by Orpheus on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
sensualfreespirit

Oh gawd, this s REALLY bad now. It wasn't this bad before.

Where is the bug report thread you guys started? I don't see it. :(
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

One known underlying cause of qBT being unable to close -- BAD/Faulty Windows update patch!
Details here:
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/9190
sensualfreespirit

Well people had this issue long before this update, but I haven't had this issue in a long time, so I'll try to wait it out, or do what the other person suggested, DC from my modem as I don't know if I want to uninstall the update.

Thanks

[quote="Switeck"]
One known underlying cause of qBT being unable to close -- BAD/Faulty Windows update patch!
Details here:
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/9190
[/quote]
Cane

Post by Cane »

I have the same problem. But for me, it only happens on very large torrents, and when I have downloaded a lot of it... Downloading multiple 30-60GB files is no problem. But I have one torrent jet to finish, and it is almost 110GB (one single file). Actually it contained multiple .rar files. All of them together is about 133GB, but I removed the other ones when they finished, to see if it would help. But it didn't...

If I remove the torrent, then qBittorrent works as it should again.

Running any number of files and or sizes have never slowed down qBittorrent's closing before. Like I said, it only happened when I had a certain amount of the file on my hard drive... Unfortunately, I don't know where the limit occurs. I am running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, quad core CPU, 8GB of RAM and 3TB Western Digital RED drive. And like others have mentioned, when it does happen, it's not possible to kill the process. It will disappear, when closing, but still run in the background. When I close Windows, it will complain that qBittorrent is still running and that I should wait for it to close. I have waited for 1h, and it never does... closing qBittorrent without this torrent, takes seconds no mater how many or big (at least up to 60GB) the other torrents are.

-

Edit:

Forgot to mention that I am using the latest version (4.1.1) of qBittorrent.
Last edited by Cane on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adsixnine

Post by Adsixnine »

thank for helps  :D
sensualfreespirit

Did you update the bug report thread?

I know you are going to ask me for it & I don't remember what it is, but if you scroll up, someone gave a link to github which is where it is.

[quote="Cane"]
I have the same problem. But for me, it only happens on very large torrents, and when I have downloaded a lot of it... Downloading multiple 30-60GB files is no problem. But I have one torrent jet to finish, and it is almost 110GB (one single file). Actually it contained multiple .rar files. All of them together is about 133GB, but I removed the other ones when they finished, to see if it would help. But it didn't...

If I remove the torrent, then qBittorrent works as it should again.

Running any number of files and or sizes have never slowed down qBittorrent's closing before. Like I said, it only happened when I had a certain amount of the file on my hard drive... Unfortunately, I don't know where the limit occurs. I am running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, quad core CPU, 8GB of RAM and 3TB Western Digital RED drive. And like others have mentioned, when it does happen, it's not possible to kill the process. It will disappear, when closing, but still run in the background. When I close Windows, it will complain that qBittorrent is still running and that I should wait for it to close. I have waited for 1h, and it never does... closing qBittorrent without this torrent, takes seconds no mater how many or big (at least up to 60GB) the other torrents are.

-

Edit:

Forgot to mention that I am using the latest version (4.1.1) of qBittorrent.
[/quote]