I have no idea what value to set for maximum active uploads.

Windows specific questions, problems.
shmuck

I have no idea what value to set for maximum active uploads.

Post by shmuck »

I'm using this calculator:http://infinite-source.de/az/az-calc.html but it doesnt have any setting recommendations for "maximum active uploads" or "maximum simultaneous uploads" (as the calculator words it; unless those are different). Any suggestions on what to set it as? Thanks!
Switeck

Re: I have no idea what value to set for maximum active uploads.

Post by Switeck »

The Azureus U/L settings calculator suggests too-high connection limits both globally and per torrent.
The max upload slots per torrent is often far lower than max connections per torrent, which doesn't work well while seeding.
It lacks global max upload slots to prevent uploading painfully slow per peer (per upload slot to be precise) when there's many busy torrents.
Since it lacks a max active seeding torrents, it's another clue that the settings are overwhelmingly for maximizing download speeds not seeding.

Seeding torrents don't need to connect to other seeds on the same torrent.
Also, it's a little rude as a seed to connect to 40+ peers at once...but only upload to 4 of them. Better to limit max connections per torrent in that case to no more than about 15 if max upload slots per torrent is only 4.

Each upload slot (1 upload to a single peer) has a minimum speed to function properly -- because it sucks to be connected to a seed and it's either not uploading anything to you or only does so at 0-5 KiloBYTES/second.
This forces global upload slots to be no more than about 1/5th (5 KB/sec) of max upload speed -- but I recommend 1/10th instead (10 KB/sec per peer) for much better performance.
With a max upload speed of 100 KB/sec, that means a max global upload slots of 10 -- so each gets ~10 KB/sec.

If a seeding torrent isn't uploading, it's not really active.
So each active torrent needs to be uploading to at least 1 (preferably 2 or more!) other peers.
That means max active torrents and also max seeding torrents should be no more than half the max global upload slots.

For the example of 100 KB/sec max UL speed with 10 max global upload slots, max active torrents could be as high as 5.
Of those 5 active torrents, I wouldn't recommend more than 1 or 2 max downloading torrents at a time so at least 3 seeding torrents can be constantly uploading.

Max connections, upload slots, and active torrents don't scale linearly with upload speed increases -- if anything, increasing the max active torrents means max connections and upload slots PER torrent must go down to prevent overloads.
Having 100 max connections per torrent might work great if there's only 1 active torrent, but if there's 20 or more...it will suck.

Better to upload a lot of torrents to only a few peers each -- and let those few peers share with other peers on the same torrents...than try to upload to everybody at <5 KB/sec each.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

The azureus calculator is very old and outdated. I have used it in the past myself.
Mythos

Post by Mythos »

Switeck wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:39 am The Azureus U/L settings calculator suggests too-high connection limits both globally and per torrent.
The max upload slots per torrent is often far lower than max connections per torrent, which doesn't work well while seeding.
It lacks global max upload slots to prevent uploading painfully slow per peer (per upload slot to be precise) when there's many busy torrents.
Since it lacks a max active seeding torrents, it's another clue that the settings are overwhelmingly for maximizing download speeds not seeding.

Seeding torrents don't need to connect to other seeds on the same torrent.
Also, it's a little rude as a seed to connect to 40+ peers at once...but only upload to 4 of them. Better to limit max connections per torrent in that case to no more than about 15 if max upload slots per torrent is only 4.

Each upload slot (1 upload to a single peer) has a minimum speed to function properly -- because it sucks to be connected to a seed and it's either not uploading anything to you or only does so at 0-5 KiloBYTES/second.
This forces global upload slots to be no more than about 1/5th (5 KB/sec) of max upload speed -- but I recommend 1/10th instead (10 KB/sec per peer) for much better performance.
With a max upload speed of 100 KB/sec, that means a max global upload slots of 10 -- so each gets ~10 KB/sec.

If a seeding torrent isn't uploading, it's not really active.
So each active torrent needs to be uploading to at least 1 (preferably 2 or more!) other peers.
That means max active torrents and also max seeding torrents should be no more than half the max global upload slots.

For the example of 100 KB/sec max UL speed with 10 max global upload slots, max active torrents could be as high as 5.
Of those 5 active torrents, I wouldn't recommend more than 1 or 2 max downloading torrents at a time so at least 3 seeding torrents can be constantly uploading.

Max connections, upload slots, and active torrents don't scale linearly with upload speed increases -- if anything, increasing the max active torrents means max connections and upload slots PER torrent must go down to prevent overloads.
Having 100 max connections per torrent might work great if there's only 1 active torrent, but if there's 20 or more...it will suck.

Better to upload a lot of torrents to only a few peers each -- and let those few peers share with other peers on the same torrents...than try to upload to everybody at <5 KB/sec each.
I'm bumping this thread.
Greetings, I have 500/500 Mbit/s connection. Can I use the mentioned settings, or should I change them for best performance?