Task Manager - Page Faults - Weirdness

Other platforms, generic questions.
KyleHx

Task Manager - Page Faults - Weirdness

Post by KyleHx »

I am brand new to qBitTorrent, and liking it v. much so far.
Just got v4.1.8 installed on 3 systems (Win-7-Starter-32b & Win-7-Home-Premium-64b & Win-10-Home-64b)
Per suggestions, I used the 32-bit QB on all.

Coming from uTorrent.  Used for years.  Tried for months to fix errors with downloading a core of 12 torrents (CSFFs total some 500g).
Problems seemed to come from TorrentIE.exe and WebHelper, and seemed to result in wild numbers shown in Task Manager, esp. under Page Faults. 

The thing is, I am still seeing wild numbers for Page Faults with QB.
Don't get me wrong .. things are working.
I couldn't get a consistent download of even 1 of those 12 with uTorrent .. and am now downloading all, simultaneously, with QB.
So I'm happy, but curious.
I know that "Page Faults" are quite often spurious counts, and not of import.  But it was a new phenomenon with uTorrent, and only came up at the same time as the download difficulties.  I never had such symptoms, and I did EVERYTHING to slow it down (as I said, over months, so assume I hit near-on every related tech-note on the web.)

So, why is QB also going crazy there?
Switeck

Re: Task Manager - Page Faults - Weirdness

Post by Switeck »

Only things I can think of is do a ram test for failing ram...and also scan your storage drives for errors.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

I don't believe page faults have any significance at all.

"A hard page fault is when the memory manager finds that the block of memory its needs is not in RAM. That memory has been swapped out to disk, and your system slows down because it takes more time to get it from there. Add more memory to your system to reduce the number of page faults and improve performance."

IMO the peak fault happens at you when you run out of ram / don't have stuff cached.
You could just...
- ignore it
- dump a ton more ram into your PC

And I don't know, I use the 64-bit. Always did. Never had any problems with it.

ps.: qBittorrent was running here but it had so little faults it didn't show up.
Attachments
pfault.png
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

I mean...
Attachments
pfault2.png
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

(I couldn't reach higher speeds due to local speed bottleneck. 99% disk use.) If I had a decent SSD or a RAID array, I could defo max out 1gbps+.