qBittorrents behaviour with completed but moved torrents

Windows specific questions, problems.
eddman

qBittorrents behaviour with completed but moved torrents

Post by eddman »

I used to use utorrent. After it downloads a torrent and completes the seeding job, it stops interacting/checking the torrent and always keeps it marked as completed, even if you move the torrent. This behavior is quite nice since I can freely move the torrents to different locations and still keep track of what I've downloaded in utorrent.

It'd keep it marked as completed, UNLESS I click resume on a completed-but-moved torrent. In that case it'd show this error, "Error: Files missing from job. Please recheck". This gives me a chance to plan what needs to be done.

qBittorrent doesn't handle completed-but-moved torrents well. It'd either mark them as incomplete jobs at 0.0%, or mark them as "Errored" as soon as the program is launched, without me clicking resume or anything.

Is this an intended behavior?
scragly

Re: qBittorrents behaviour with completed but moved torrents

Post by scragly »

It's the more explicit and correct behaviour of the two, so it's very likely intentional. You could ask the devs in a github issue ticket to make sure, but I doubt this will change as the behaviour would ensure people are not mistaken about the state of the files and it's readiness to seed even before attempting to resume it.
eddman

Post by eddman »

scragly wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:01 am It's the more explicit and correct behaviour of the two, so it's very likely intentional. You could ask the devs in a github issue ticket to make sure, but I doubt this will change as the behaviour would ensure people are not mistaken about the state of the files and it's readiness to seed even before attempting to resume it.
After posting the thread I thought about it more and you are right. I suppose it's better to know which torrents are missing their files as soon as qbt is launched. I didn't want to post this on github because I didn't know if it's a bug or not.

Still, the behavior seems to be buggy though. As I mentioned, sometimes qbt marks a completed-but-moved torrent as non-started at 0.0%; and sometimes it correctly shows them as "Errored". I haven't been able to reproduce it reliably.
scragly

Post by scragly »

eddman wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:06 am sometimes qbt marks a completed-but-moved torrent as non-started at 0.0%; and sometimes it correctly shows them as "Errored". I haven't been able to reproduce it reliably.
I suspect this has more to do with if it happened to be attempting to seed a block at the time of the move, and it suddenly is interrupted with data being missing causing an Errored state. This is just a suspicion though, I haven't attempted to check for sure.
eddman

Post by eddman »

scragly wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:39 pm I suspect this has more to do with if it happened to be attempting to seed a block at the time of the move, and it suddenly is interrupted with data being missing causing an Errored state. This is just a suspicion though, I haven't attempted to check for sure.
I always wait for the seeding job to finish and the torrent to stop. I then fully exit qbt before moving the torrent files but the next time I launch qbt, some of those torrents are listed as being at 0.0%. I can open a ticket on github but perhaps it'd be better to find out what condition triggers it exactly.

If any of the members are seeing this behavior, please share.
eddman

Post by eddman »

I have to make a clarification. An "Errored" torrent would also be listed as 0.0%, obviously.

What I meant is the following:

1. The completed(paused)-but-moved torrent would either be listed as "Errored" at 0.0%, which is the expected behavior...
2. ...or would wrongly be listed as "Downloading" at also 0.0%. Basically qbt forgets that it has done the job before already.