Is it possible to keep the list of torrents in qB, but move the files elsewhere?

Windows specific questions, problems.
domedyne

Is it possible to keep the list of torrents in qB, but move the files elsewhere?

Post by domedyne »

I need to keep track of the stats of the torrents I download (stuff like date/time completed, size downloaded, total size, etc...). Having this list serves as a historical record of when I downloaded something and if I've downloaded it before (so I don't accidentally download it again).

I also move the files after seeding to an external hard drive since my computer hard drive has limited storage.

However, when I move these files, they'll appear as "Missing Files" in qB. If I pause the files before moving, they'll stay as "Completed", but then they'll lose the "size" and "completed" stats.

In https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/4965, there's mention of a way to mark a torrent as "unmonitored". Is it possible to have qB stop monitoring a torrent completely so it doesn't complain about missing files or losing stats?

I think uT had the "stop" button which paused/stopped the torrent and unmonitored it, but I can't seem to find the same functionality in qB.
flexy123

Re: Is it possible to keep the list of torrents in qB, but move the files elsewhere?

Post by flexy123 »

I did this yesterday, move my qbittorrent and a whole list of files that I seeded to my other PC which is on 24/7.

It was much more painless than what I thought.

On Win 10 etc... check the folders %APPDATA%\qbittorrent
and
%LOCALAPPDATA%\qbittorrent

This folders need to be copied, it has all the preferences and the actual TORRENTS in it.
When you move, the files should be in a folder with the same name (say D:\ if you download/seed from D:). If the new install uses different folder names, qbittorrent needs to hash-check the folders first. (In my case I just stopped/paused d/l on the old qbittorrent, then copied files over, copied the two preference folders over...and restarted qbittorrent on the new machine...it immediately started seeding and everything was there, no files missing etc.). My stats are also tracked allright.
inrobert

Re: Is it possible to keep the list of torrents in qB, but move the files elsewhere?

Post by inrobert »

[quote="domedyne"]
I need to keep track of the stats of the torrents I download (stuff like date/time completed, size downloaded, total size, etc...). Having this list serves as a historical record of when I downloaded something and if I've downloaded it before

(...)

In https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/4965, there's mention of a way to mark a torrent as "unmonitored". Is it possible to have qB stop monitoring a torrent completely so it doesn't complain about missing files or losing stats?

I think uT had the "stop" button which paused/stopped the torrent and unmonitored it, but I can't seem to find the same functionality in qB.
[/quote]

This is exactly the functionality I am looking for – manually stop monitoring selected torrents, so when you move downloaded files to a different location all torrent data (which files, of what size and when were downloaded) is preserved.
A few months ago when I was moving downloaded files to a different location while qBittorent was running, paused torrent on the list usually stayed with the "complete" status and all mentioned torrent data is preserved even today. I have to add, that qBittorrent wasn't consistent with this behavior and sometimes the data was lost.
Now I see, that after moving downloaded data, when qBittorrent is restarted it always shows "Missing files" status and none of the mentioned above torrent data about what and when was downloaded is available.

So here is the question: what is the intended way of this behavior? In the last changelog (v4.1.3) I see "BUGFIX: When file data are unreachable pause torrent and show "Missing Files" status (temporary fix)". As it says it's temporary fix, what's the final goal?

It is very important to have a way for all mentioned torrent data to stay and be visible in the program, even if downloaded files are moved. I think the way to go is to give a user possibility to mark chosen torrents as unmonitored and/or move them to unmonitored category, so qBittorrent doesn't check for downloaded files at all and preserves all the latest torrent data.

[quote="flexy123"]
I did this yesterday, move my qbittorrent and a whole list of files that I seeded to my other PC which is on 24/7.
[/quote]

This is different situation, because you were moving downloaded files AND qBittorrent data to another PC so new qBittorrent installation can see all downloaded files again.
inrobert

Post by inrobert »

domedyne wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:31 pm However, when I move these files, they'll appear as "Missing Files" in qB. If I pause the files before moving, they'll stay as "Completed", but then they'll lose the "size" and "completed" stats.

I do not see the mentioned possibility of marking torrent as "unmonitored".
Would it be possible to make all data visible in "Missing files" status same as in "Completed" status? I mean not only added and finished timestamps, but also progress of all files before they went missing (let's say in red color, opposed to blue used for completed).