Update to latest version (4.2.2) Virus detected

Windows specific questions, problems.
Dezarius

Update to latest version (4.2.2) Virus detected

Post by Dezarius »

So when I updated to the latest version (via the client prompt) a virus was detected by my Avast anti-vir in the setup file and then after install it had infected the QBT.exe in the program folder as well, as it quarantined both files. As such I wasn't able to use QB anymore, so I chose to restore the program file, I really don't want to uninstall and redo all my settings. I'm not sure if it is still infected after having been in quarantine, and less sure if this is a real "virus" or just a false alarm. Many reports say it is, but some sites also say it should be taken seriously. What puzzles me is why a virus would be in a file downloaded through the official channels, as I said I used the client prompt to update like always.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Update to latest version (4.2.2) Virus detected

Post by Peter »

False positive.

Check virustotal.com - you can see that only a few, cheap/horrible "antivirus" programs flag the latest version. This is a good indication of bad anti-virus programs that people should avoid.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

100% false. The source is available for everyone to look into it. Also at Fosshub it checks as safe.
simonqbit

Post by simonqbit »

I wouldn't say 100%. After installing that same version, it took only a few minutes and my NAS alerted me that my computer tried to FTP into the NAS with incorrect passwords 5 times (using standard/default logins).
It has never happende before. I uninstalled 4.2.2 and it never happened again...
Last edited by simonqbit on Sun May 10, 2020 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

LOL there is something fishy going on at your end most def. I used AVG and Defender on computers where I installed 4.2.2 and no detection occured.
You COULD have some other virus that infects .exe / .msi files, totally possible.
Download NOD32 Live (on a different pc or laptop), put it on a pendrive, scan your PC. It'll take a few hours.