Increasing Download Speed to NAS?

Windows specific questions, problems.
rkruz3

Increasing Download Speed to NAS?

Post by rkruz3 »

I just installed a Synology NAS and directing qBittorrent which is running on my Windows 10 PC to save files to the NAS over the houses 1G LAN.

THe download speed is incredibly slow, around 50Kbps with infrequent spikes to 0.5Mbps. Doing the identical QbitTorrent download to a USB drive connected the Windows 10 PC, I achieve 6Mbps, close to the max my ISP internet provides.

Is there anything I can do to greatly improve the Win10 PC Qbittorrent speeds over the LAN?

Thanks!
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Increasing Download Speed to NAS?

Post by Peter »

Hmm, maybe the NAS is handling the requests "badly"?
In qBittorrent, go into Settings -> Downloads and set "Pre-allocate disk space for all files". This should help (I think) with the issue.

Also, keep in mind that if you JUST installed the NAS, it may have a very slow write speeds until the RAID does the sync.
Depending on disk size, RAID-type (RAID1, RAID5, RAID10), it can take hours and hours.
Usually a 2TB RAID1 syncs up within 24 hours.

And yea it has to sync even just after a reinstall. Not sure how Synology handles this though, I only worked with regular software/hardware raids.
rkruz3

Post by rkruz3 »

thanks very much for the tips. I set Qbittorrent to "preallocate" as you suggested and see a small improvement. To highlight the issue saving directly to a USB drive on the PC I see transfer rates of 6Mbps and even with preallocate perhaps ~ 100Kbps with occasional short bursts to 1.5Mbps.

Good point on the RAID but to clarify I have only a single drive installed now (its a 2 drive NAS). The drive is formatted with something called Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR) without Data protection. No idea what that is but maybe it accounts for the issue as you described for RAIDS. I did see it go through a file sync and it completed. Perhaps another experiment would be to format it as a JBOD.

I just expected data to zoom to the NAS perhaps even faster then to the USB drive. So pretty disappointing.

You say you work with other NAS? I wonder if I should try a less sophisticated NAS,
rkruz3

Post by rkruz3 »

I thought it might be helpful to illustrate the dramatic speed differences between dowload to NAS over LAN and download to a local PC drive with the Qbittorrent speed graphs attached.
torrent to Synology.png
torrent to Synology.png (46.01 KiB) Viewed 7012 times
torrent to local drive.png
torrent to local drive.png (63.56 KiB) Viewed 7012 times
beachgrrl

Post by beachgrrl »

By way of comparison how does it compare if you save direct to local drive then move it to NAS?
rkruz3

Post by rkruz3 »

beachgrrl wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:02 am By way of comparison how does it compare if you save direct to local drive then move it to NAS?
Hi beachgrrl.
The graph in the prior post illustrates part of that, the torrent save to local drive..
Graph 1 shows the speed when saving Torrent to the harddrive on my PC. Thats running at 6Mbps which is the max I can get with the internet service I have. its fast enough and then to copy over to the NAS is very very fast. It just adds a manual step. .
Graph 2 shows the speed for the identical Torrent download but over the 1G LAN to the Synology NAS. On average its maybe 100x less speed which that odd infrequent burst behavior. So slow its unusable as far as that goes.

As of now the copy to the "save to local drive and copy to NAS approach" is a workaround as you implied but I spent the $ on a quality NAS hoping to streamline and save torrents to the NAS direct.
rkruz3

Post by rkruz3 »

let me add this bit of clue.

I was able to torrent using the app on the Synology NAS called "Download Station". To do that I have to manually copy over the Magnet link and past into the app.
The Torrent download speeds were great doing that maybe 50Mbps.
The above is not a very convenient approach vs Qbittorrent directing saves to the NAS but it is an interesting clue perhaps to whats going on with the slow speeds when saving Qbittorrent files direct over LAN to NAS.
beachgrrl

Post by beachgrrl »

Am I right in thinking you NAS runs linux as standalone OS?
If so maybe you can run Linux qBit on it natively and pass torrents to its handler directly....?
rkruz3

Post by rkruz3 »

beachgrrl wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:53 am Am I right in thinking you NAS runs linux as standalone OS?
If so maybe you can run Linux qBit on it natively and pass torrents to its handler directly....?
Im not sure but the NAS does have an OS and a download app. When I paste a magnet link into this app the torrent speeds are fine. Its only when I save a torrent from my Win10PC over the LAN to the Network Attached Storage that its incredibly slow.
Synology support gave this response:
"Since just regular file transfer to the NAS through a mapped drive are operating at normal speeds, it is likely a mechanism with the torrent that is the cause of slower download speeds. It is possible that it is opening multiple connections to the drive causing it to slow down."
Is there a way to limit the number of network connections to the NAS?
Izobrel

Post by Izobrel »

uTorrent show me 2-3Mb/s when QB is in loose kb
MY NAS is USB 3.1 OWS Mercury Elite Pro Duo with 2 HDD RAID0