Email notification not working

Linux specific questions, problems.
apaan

Email notification not working

Post by apaan »

I ran fresh ubuntu mate desktop 18.04.4 LTS. I set it up as torrent box running 24/7, so Email notification upon download completion is much needed. Actually I did this to my main PC running the same ubuntu 18.04.4, and it work ok. But somehow this email notification won't work on my new box.

Is there anyway to see log or error output maybe why this doesn't work?
Also since I want to the this email feature, is there anyway to toggle torrent to completed state without actually downloading? I'd hate to wait the torrent to finish downloading everytime i want to try whether my email set up already correct.
apaan

Re: Email notification not working

Post by apaan »

Looks like the forum is not that active since I didn't get any response from the community.

Anyhow, I resolved the problem. The email host I am using is G suite, this might help anyone who faces the same problem as me. So in the nutshell, google doesn't allow signing in to app or site that doesn't meet google standard. And pretty much the qbittorrent falls under this category. So you just need to enable option in google account. Mind you that this option is for account that doesn't enable 2 step verification.

Most likely if you had 2 step verification enabled, perhaps you just need to enter the app password generated from google account panel and google might let you login. This I haven't tried yet.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Be careful, Google can / might / will ban for using it as an automated email sending machine. Just in case.

I'd recommend using Mailgun.
apaan

Post by apaan »

Thanks for the info, i will keep that in mind. I've been using mail notification since a long time, maybe 5 years++ with @gmail.com. And just now I switched to @mydomain hosted by Gsuite/googleapps, that's when I got into problem.

Let's hope gmail doesn't do anything. :D :D :D
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

We used Gmail just for a week or so to send out reg emails and we got blocked lol.
Mailgun costs ... 1$ I think a month, so its really no money.
Just don't use a valuable account on Gmail.
apaan

Post by apaan »

well, I think the difference is significant. I bet the reg mail volume it sent out was way larger than me. Also your mail would send to a lot of different email address. while I set up new mail address solely for use as mail notification from qbittorrent.