Qbittorrent makes router crash

Windows specific questions, problems.
DanielPT

Qbittorrent makes router crash

Post by DanielPT »

Hi all

I have a Icotera IGW 3000 router. I like it alot but after i got a 1000/1000 mbit internet connection Qbitottent makes my router crash (The wifi modul works)

No problem with Deluge but was very slow speeds

I tryed the fowolloing

1: Only enable TCP connection
2: Lower the download speed to 87000 kiB/s
3: Edit the connection settings https://ibb.co/dkJZ4bV

Can you meaby help?

Regards Daniel and thanks
DanielPT

Re: Qbittorrent makes router crash

Post by DanielPT »

Nobody have a suggestions about this problem? :(
FranciscoPombal

Post by FranciscoPombal »

DanielPT wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:17 am Nobody have a suggestions about this problem? :(
Get a better router. It is normal for weak routers to crash or have very poor performance with many fast connections. They are not designed (sometimes, not even enough RAM) to have large amounts of connections managed in their NAT translation tables, as happens in the BitTorrent protocol. Or it might just be buggy firmware.
bmn

Post by bmn »

@FranciscoPombal "Get a new router" - what a weak suggestion!!

Indeed it is your settings. Most ISP-provided or low-end routers get overwhelmed with too many connections. Even though you've reduced your connection settings, reduce them some more.

Try with these (and try the lower to be safe to start with - especially if it crashes):

1. Global maximum number of connections: 80-100
2. Maximum number of connections per torrent: 10
3. Global maximum number of upload slots: 15
4. Maximum number of upload slots per torrent: 6

Esp 1, 3 and 4 are important - 1 is the most important one to avoid crashes

Good luck!
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Many routers handle large numbers of UDP packets exceptionally badly.
...And BitTorrent clients use lots of UDP packets for DHT and uTP connections.

So if you only use private trackers and/or don't really need extra peers+seeds on the busy torrents you get, you can disable DHT.

Don't disable uTP unless the torrents you get have LOTS of seeds/peers. uTP is a bit slower than TCP due to numerous bugs in many BT clients' uTP logic...but many peers/seeds use ONLY uTP.

Disable UPnP/NAT-PMP in qBitTorrent as well. Trying to do both at once isn't a good idea, especially on marginal routers.

LPD (Local Peer Discovery) even uses multicast packets that next-to-nothing supports correctly. And I'd be worried if I found any sources using that, as they'd have to be on my own router.