Deep Packet Inspection(DPI)

Other platforms, generic questions.
killerguy

Deep Packet Inspection(DPI)

Post by killerguy »

Hello, a week ago they(ISP) started actively blocking Bittorrent traffic.
All trackers are available, the speed is within 300KB, but when downloading a torrent, it goes down to 4-10KB.
What I tried: I disabled communication over uTP, disabled udp trackers(just in case), changed ports, even to 443, disabled DHT, LPD, reduced the number of connections to 8, also set the number of peers to 8, enabled forced encryption(obfuscation), many peers fall asleep(choked).
All of this is bypassed by VPN, Tor.
But I don't want to reduce the speed; with sites on http(s), when downloading files, all at maximum speeds.
As I understand it, heuristics and behavioral analysis of packets are used, while the application is running, it generates dynamic traffic, which can also be identified and labeled. For example, BitTorrent generates traffic with a certain sequence of packets that have the same characteristics (incoming and outgoing port, packet size, number of sessions opened per unit of time). it can be classified according to a behavioral (heuristic) model.

I am sure that this practice will soon be used by many providers.
It may also be that the provider knocks on my/destination's port and checks whether the Bittorrent client is installed there, uses the Connection probe technique, where when trying to connect to any IP address, such a request is first "frozen", and the subsequent advanced connection to the target address is made on behalf of DPI.
What I wanted to ask is, can the evolution of the Bittorrent Protocol solve these problems, and in your opinion, what would be possible to do?
Thanks.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Deep Packet Inspection(DPI)

Post by Peter »

> what would be possible to do?

A) Use a seedbox. It's like ~5 euro a month. You can also rent a cheap dedi from a provider that doesn't care. Also like 5 euro.
B) You can always just virtualize. Install a VM with Linux/Windows, run VPN on it, torrent. This requires quite some resources from the host.
C) Get a used PC/server. Make sure it has two ethernet cards. One interface will use Ethernet, the other one will be for local access. This way you can control it, but it'll still torrent over VPN, if you know what I mean.
D) Some VPNs can also do "split tunneling", where only certain apps go through the VPN. This does not work flawless, but it can work.
killerguy

Post by killerguy »

Peter wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:25 am
Thanks for answers
A) Use a seedbox. It's like ~5 euro a month. You can also rent a cheap dedi from a provider that doesn't care. Also like 5 euro.
Already have one.

About VPN, no need for.

My question was about the Bittorrent protocol itself, what changes could be made so that Bittorrent automatically bypasses these restrictions?
As we remember, earlier(from wars between internet providers and torrent downloaders from year of 2005-to now), first BitTorrent clients worked on tcp ports 6881 to 6889, providers blocked these ports, later with the change of protocol, BitTorrent clients were able to work on any ports, then providers began to analyze traffic by content, and now, after adding encryption(obfuscation), they began to implement heuristics, what will be the next step of the Bittorrent protocol?
The question itself is a curious one .
SideshowBob

Post by SideshowBob »

There is very little incentive to change anything since practically everyone should be using a VPN or equivalent.
killerguy

Post by killerguy »

There's an issue opened for this in libtorrent repository
https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/issues/5222