Can not seed private torrent

Windows specific questions, problems.
LennyB

Can not seed private torrent

Post by LennyB »

Just updated to version 4.3.0 on a Windows 10 PC. I create private torrents to transmit work files between home, the office and production. These can be up to 3GB in size quite often. I have always had to remotely log into the receiving PC view Teamviewer, copy/paste over the created Torrent file and manually begin downloading. From my main PC I then have to manually add the receiving client's IP/Port in order for the torrent to actually seed and transmit. This new version does not allow me to right-click in the peers area and manually add the required peers.

I have also never been able to figure out how to increase the speed of these torrents above 1.8mbps even though I have fiber connections with at least 100 mbps up.

Looking for solutions to both these issues. For now I have reverted back to version 4.2.5.

Thanks.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can not seed private torrent

Post by Peter »

Seriously, for seeding to yourself, use Syncthing.
It's open source, it works great, it can NAT traverse, and it's so easy to use.

I know this is a qBittorrent forum, but it's like hitting a screw with a hammer. Right tool for the right job.
FranciscoPombal

Post by FranciscoPombal »

You're using private torrents without trackers and manually adding peers, aren't you? This was never a use case supported by the protocol itself, but there are easy alternatives. Read through https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/13539 and this comment https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... -711895255 in particular.
LennyB

Post by LennyB »

I tried Synctning. It had the same upload speed of 1.8mbps and then it crashed. Tried it a few times, same results.

I'm not sure what the "embedded qittorrent tracker" is. I did follow some directions to add a tracker with my IP and qbt port. that didn't increase the speed. I reverted back to qbt 4.2.5 where I can manually add the peers I need. If 1.8mmbps speed and manual input is the best I can achieve then it's been working for me for the past 8 months of this pandemic. Was hoping the latest qbt version would be better/easier to use and to somehow increase my upload speeds to even half of what my ISP states I should be getting.

Thanks for the suggestions.
LennyB

Post by LennyB »

I should add that my total upload speed maxes out at 1.8mbps, no matter how many torrents I'm currently seeding. So transferring files around can be bogged down if there is an incoming torrent I am also seeding.