Unchecked files not deleted, not moved to .unwanted

Other platforms, generic questions.
mmxavier

Unchecked files not deleted, not moved to .unwanted

Post by mmxavier »

Desktop: KDE
qBittorrent version: 4.3.0

Since installing the latest qBittorrent update from manjaro-community, I've got a problem: when I uncheck a file, nothing happens. It doesn't get deleted and it doesn't get moved to the .unwanted directory, it just stays where it is.

Not only that, but this isn't just happening to new torrents, it's happening to old ones, too. After the update, I saw that a bunch of directories for torrents I hadn't touched in months (but that were still seeding) were shown as recently modified. It looks like every single file I downloaded and then unchecked has been moved out of .unwanted and back to the original download directory. The files are still unchecked in qBittorrent.

Any idea what could be going on here or how to fix? Has anybody else seen this?
mmxavier

Re: Unchecked files not deleted, not moved to .unwanted

Post by mmxavier »

Sorry to double-post, but didn't see option to edit OP. More info:

I found these related issues in Github:
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/13531
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/13678

A lot of times I'll download a torrent with a lot of files in it, then delete some of them after downloading.

If there's no way to delete already-downloaded files from within qBittorrent (except to delete the entire torrent), I guess that's okay, I can do it manually in the future, but what do I do about all the torrents I've already got seeding? Any good way to delete unchecked files from those torrents in bulk? I'm okay with writing a shell script to read the data files, look for files that aren't selected for download, and delete them, but I don't know where qB is storing that info. Is it in the .fastresume files?

I'm aware that qB may need to store partial files because of how chunks work, but that's not what I'm seeing here; I'm seeing complete, full-size files that are still kept even after I uncheck them.
SideshowBob

Post by SideshowBob »

mmxavier wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:42 pm I'm aware that qB may need to store partial files because of how chunks work, but that's not what I'm seeing here; I'm seeing complete, full-size files that are still kept even after I uncheck them.
My understanding is that those end chunks are stored in the unwanted file. At least by default these are sparse files so need not take up any significant physical storage. Anything that's downloaded at the time they are deselected is retained. This is needed in case you made a mistake, and so you can seed what you have downloaded. I don't know what would happen if you manually deleted these unwanted files - hopefully they would get redownloaded as sparse files so that adjacent files wouldn't become incomplete for seeding purposes.

I'm now wondering what's supposed to happen when the pre-allocate option is selected. Hopefully files deselected before downloading starts are excluded. I can't test this as pre-allocation seems to be broken. I've had the box checked for a long time but incomplete files from recently added torrents are sparse.

I'm also seeing deselected files not being moved to .unwanted, this seems like a regression.
SideshowBob

Post by SideshowBob »

I didn't follow those github links before replying. I see that removing the .unwanted folder was deliberate.
SideshowBob

Post by SideshowBob »

And it looks like removing the need for sparse files to handle the end parts is part of the change. It would wise to avoid deleting anything until this is all working properly. It's clearly broken at the moment. It's also not clear whether at any stage old torrents will get converted.