Top Level Folder

Windows specific questions, problems.
dillhole

Top Level Folder

Post by dillhole »

In version v4.3.2 the checkbox option to keep top level folder appears to have been removed. Is this done differently now?
Soirtemed

Re: Top Level Folder

Post by Soirtemed »

It has been removed (a completely unexpected & unwanted/undocumented change). You can use the content layout drop down list to select "create subfolder" & kind of achieve the same but it is awkward. I do not understand why such a popular UI feature was removed. Keep the top folder checkbox was conveniently located under the start torrent checkbox and extremely useful for downloading complete TV series. UI changes like this one should be proposed to the forum before implemented. It does not fix anything or enhance the usability. I feel strongly about (against) this change and this is the only reason I joined the forum (so to comment). If anyone is listening - please revert this feature back to how it was in the previous version (and keep it as is). I have gone back to using the previous version and will not apply any future updates while this change stands (I like things simple & working). Otherwise Happy New Year 2021 and thanks to all the developers/contributors of this amazing software.
bhr

Post by bhr »

I would add a +1 to everything that Soirtemed said. After recently having torrents located in unexpected subdirectories, I started researching the change and found this topic. I registered with the forum specifically to address this topic, hoping that my feedback will help to get the top level folder checkbox added back.

I use the categories as what I consider to be categories, e.g. Action, Animation, Audio_Books, eBooks, Comedy, Music, Sci-Fi, TV_Shows, War. I usually turn off the top level folder because I am just downloading a single file, such as "Mission.Impossible.mkv". That file would then be stored as "Action\Mission.Impossible.mkv". But if I am downloading a batch of files, such as a season of a TV show, I leave the top level folder turned on so that the files are all grouped under a subdirectory specific to that show and season, e.g. "TV_Shows\Mandalorian_S01".

With the change, it has added some irritating work for me. I download the files on a Windows computer, then transfer them to an external SSD for playback on a Raspberry Pi running Kodi. I now have to go through and delete all of the unexpected subdirectories before transferring the files to the SSD so that they are all still neatly organized.

I think qBittorrent is excellent. I've been using it for about 5 years now, and it has worked flawlessly. Thank you to all of the people that make it possible.
dillhole

Post by dillhole »

Well, I am glad I'm not the only person that feels strongly that the checkbox should be returned. It is very inconvenient to manage downloads without it.
bhr

Post by bhr »

I have reinstalled v4.3.1 to get the top level folder back. It was dropped on v4.3.2. I am assuming by the lack of feedback from other people that the dropping of the top level folder wasn't an issue for them, and the lack of feedback from the developers of qBittorrent may mean it isn't something they are likely to address.
dsneed

Post by dsneed »

+1 for me! I always want to see the top level folder, even if I'm not going to use it.

Alternatively, you could add "Select/Deselect All" in the right-click menu to accomplish the same thing.
BerniceBrooks

Post by BerniceBrooks »

I'm a newbie here. I would like to know more about this Top Level Folder. Thank you so much!