iblocklist.com Supported?

Other platforms, generic questions.
SheldorTheConqueror

iblocklist.com Supported?

Post by SheldorTheConqueror »

Is iblocklist.com supported?  I know I could use 3rd party (peerguardian, etc) but I would prefer to just block ips in QB.  Feature is available in transmission, but I prefer layout and other features of QB.

Help a brother out if I am missing something.
loki

Re: iblocklist.com Supported?

Post by loki »

You can load a blocklist file (locally stored only as far as I know).
robhwill

Post by robhwill »

hi, n00b to qbittorrent... so, *where* to load the blocklist file
is the question?? have not seen a config file or folder or a
dialogue in the gui that will accept this. thx.
have a healthy, prosperous day!!
---rob
RanceJustice

Post by RanceJustice »

Open qBT >  on the toolbar click on the "crossed wrench and screwdriver" icon for "options" (or click on the dropdown menu "Tools" and select "Options") > Click on the "Connection" tab found on the left (it has an icon that appears to be an ethernet cable and socket) >  Look for "IP Filtering" and be sure the checkbox is checked >  Below, look for "Filter path (.dat , .p2p , .p2b)" there will be a data entry box, with a "..." icon and a "green reload arrow" icon on its right .

This is where you need to point qBT towards a properly formatted  blocklist file on your hard drive.  Clicking the "..." button will open your file explorer and you can browse to wherever you downloaded the blocklist file, then select or double click it. Remember it has to be formatted correctly - only files in .dat, .p2p , or .p2b willl be viable, .zip/.gzip/.tar etc.. will NOT work (Would be nice if in future updates other filter formats and whatnot would also be viable) The path will appear in the "Filter path" data entry box. For instance, if you downloaded "awesomeipfilter.dat" directly into your qBT install folder (assuming you're on windows) it will be something like  "C:/Program Files (x86)/qBittorrent/awesomeipfilter.dat " listed in the filter path box.  Now, all you need to do is click the green "reload arrow" and qBT will load the data from the filter file into its internal IP filter and give you a pop-up box noting how many rules were added to the filter. 

Note that, for now, you'll need to manually update the filter by downloading a new file  and reloading it . At the moment, qBT does NOT allow you to use say, a URL of a remotely hosted filter file so you have to download it manually, nor does it have a setting to download/update a new filter file automatically, refresh at startup and/or at a user defined interval (ie update every day, every 2 days, every week etc...)  This is unfortunate and I can hope that this functionality will be added to qBT soon, as I can't make it my primary torrent client without it.    Many of the best clients have comprehensive blocklist URL/update/formats including other open source clients (Transmission, Vuze [if it is still considered open source?], KTorrent, Deluge etc..] so I really hope that, as qBT is developed to  include the latest and best features, the devs will expand IPFilter support.

Hope this helps!