Qbittorrent 4.4 changes on torrent menu options

Linux specific questions, problems.
kino13

Qbittorrent 4.4 changes on torrent menu options

Post by kino13 »

Hello,

I am using QBittorrent V4.4.0rc1, and since about 2 months I have noticed a change in the contextual menu for the torrents in the options for:
-Set location...
-Category
-Limit upload rate
-Limit share ratio

All of them have now been included into a submenu "torrent options".
I am aware how silly this seems, but I am sure I am not the only one who finds this unbelievably annoying.

Is this how the new version will be? is there any way to revert to the previous menu settings?

In the web version, it still appears with the old/normal menu structure.

Thanks
kino13

Re: Qbittorrent 4.4 changes on torrent menu options

Post by kino13 »

No one?

This is really a bad change. An operation that before took two mouse clicks now takes 5. It is hell when you try to put some order on a lot of just added torrents.

At least that should be an option.
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

Hi,

I posted something similar elsewhere, but haven't migrated yet to test: I think the double click on a torrent can now be assigned to "torrent option".
This may leads you to this option with a shortened path.

May you please feedback?

EDIT:
It was simply in the changelog (trying to find it back to be sure)
FEATURE: Add "Show torrent options" double-click action (glassez)
kino13

Post by kino13 »

Yes. It does.

And I am sorry, it is still useless for the case in question.

Before:
Select a few torrents (either with shift or ctrl) +click.
Right mouse button-> category->assign category. (just moving the mouse over it).

Now:
Double click on torrent-> options -> menu for categories ->select category-> Accept.
Much slower and you can not apply to several torrents at the same time. (By the same time I mean with double-click of course, you can select as many as you want with the normal menu usage.)

It makes ordering torrents a waste of time.

Why not include an advance option to select which menu is better for the user?

For me we have lost functionality with the new structure. What is the point of it? making the menu 2 lines shorter? Is anyone using a 640x480 screen anymore?

I am sorry, I just don't get the change for the change mentality, and the interface was perfect as it was, with direct access to the most used functions.
tasman52

Post by tasman52 »

This travesty was the first thing I noticed when I upgraded to 4.4.0.

Ubuntu 20.04 dropped from the PPA - this was the first thing which was an irritant, so I decided to give the AppImage version a try.
Yes, it works but it is very, very laggy even after removing many torrents the program freezes for a couple of seconds every 10 seconds or so, yet everything seems absolutely normal.

The deal breaker for me though was this whole category mess. Why, why, why? I have many categories and use them a lot, I can't organize things like this, it's truly awful. What was the person who thought of this smoking at the time?

I've gone back to 4.3.9.
dinjo

Post by dinjo »

How did you install 4.4 on focal?
tasman52

Post by tasman52 »

dinjo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:46 am How did you install 4.4 on focal?
On the qt homepage under news it say that the ApplImage works on focal so just downloaded it and ran it. All of my settings remained the same.
kino13

Post by kino13 »

tasman52 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:46 am The deal breaker for me though was this whole category mess. Why, why, why? I have many categories and use them a lot, I can't organize things like this, it's truly awful. What was the person who thought of this smoking at the time?

I've gone back to 4.3.9.
Thank you, I was starting to think I was the only one annoyed by this.

It looks like the person who implemented this has never used the program in real life. I don't get it either.

You can use the webclient to put some order in your torrents, but I feel quite stupid having that enabled just to be able to bypass the new menu.

I only have like 6 categories, two of them totally automated by RSS but that does not mean I don't still add torrents manually or that sometimes I go mental and add 80 torrents in one shot.

Edit: Is there any way we can voice our opinions to the debs????
kino13

Post by kino13 »

Seems that someone reported it as a bug (which I totally agree!):

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/15946

And yes, the devs still don't understand the usage of categories for ordering torrents :o but they agreed to revert the changes.
kino13

Post by kino13 »

I am happy to say that the awful changes to the menu have now been reverted.

I want to thank the devs for listening to us. :)
SinisterMidget

Post by SinisterMidget »

I agree, this does seem to be a step backwards and makes categories more difficult to manage.

Pleased to see that the developers will restore the old menu option.
dinjo

Post by dinjo »

Thankfully i wasn't able to install the app.

Any way i can go back to 4.2
kino13

Post by kino13 »

UNBELIEVABLE.

After all the posts in the github, after all the discussions, the changes didn't make it into the final 4.4.0 version.

Seriously, at this point this looks like a joke.
kino13

Post by kino13 »

Unfucking believable, from the changelog of 4.4.0:

- BUGFIX: Move a few torrent context menu actions into "Torrent options" dialog (thalieht)

Edit: this is for all versions, not only linux
kino13

Post by kino13 »

Ok, as an alternate solution:

This is the version from a week ago, that at least for me, has been working correctly.

https://launchpad.net/~qbittorrent-team ... d/23115170

I have installed it, and I will probably freeze the version (for 3 or 4 years) until the dev team gets their shit together.