What exactly does "rename" do?

Other platforms, generic questions.
TiredBro

What exactly does "rename" do?

Post by TiredBro »

I'm trying to modify files so that I can take the same content that has different naming, and cross-seed it to multiple different websites at once. I figured out how to hard-link already so I know how to duplicate files without taking up double the space, which is convenient for having a copy inside a seeding torrents folder while having another copy in my library that uses a totally different name and folder structure. What I want to do is have one folder with one set of files, not even linked, that is already present as a torrent on two websites, but in each case with a different folder name, and mess around inside my torrent client so that they can both seed from the same folder of the same files simultaneously.

I have been pointed towards the "rename" feature on qBittorrent to do this, but I do not understand what it actually does. Does it just change what it looks like in the client without modifying the ability to seed as different folder names at all? Does it allow me to potentially seed to two places at once by changing the names inside my client to reflect what they're called on the websites?
dawsonkm

Re: What exactly does "rename" do?

Post by dawsonkm »

I'm sure more people will chime in but for me running 4.3.9 with the client, the rename changes the name in the client and doesn't effect the folder/file information.
TiredBro

Post by TiredBro »

Is there any situation where you could take a file called X.jpg which is on the website as XY.jpg, rename it in the client to XY and get it to seed? I heard there was some bizarre interaction like that.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

dawsonkm wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:40 am I'm sure more people will chime in but for me running 4.3.9 with the client, the rename changes the name in the client and doesn't effect the folder/file information.
This. A .torrent file defines the files in the "torrent" itself. So you can't just go changing the files on your PC. Hard-linking is a great "solution", but yeah, it gets complicated quickly. That's why no customer application uses it. Imagine you hard link some file elsewhere, delete/manipulate the file elsewhere, and the core file also gets affected. It can get messy.

Then there is the other issue. Linux/OSX and Windows use different methods. On Windows you can use "Junctions" instead. So yeah... there is only OP's solution.