Help - Search Not Working!

Linux specific questions, problems.
michaelgr

Help - Search Not Working!

Post by michaelgr »

(yes, someone complained on a similar problem below, but the people who responded focused on his torrent speeds)

I have a fresh copy of Linux Mint 17, installed a couple of weeks ago on an Intel Nuc that serves as my living room media PC.
I installed Qbittorrent and for the first couple of days everything went OK. Then (I'm assuming after the first system update) search just stopped working - no matter what I search, I get zero results. If I try to update the search engine provider list, I get the following message:
Sorry, couldn't check for plugin updates. Update server is temporarily unavailable. The remote server refused the connection
I also noticed an error in the execution log on startup, not sure it's related -
3/10/17 3:52 PM - Couldn't download GeoIP database file. Reason: An unknown network-related error was detected

I then installed the official PPA to be sure I have the most up to date version. Currently it is 3.3.11. no change.
Tried changing the port number. nothing. Played a bit wi some settings, but got them all back to factory settings. There's no port forwarding or proxy or anything.
I have a second PC (windows 10) at home and Qbittorrent search works fine there so it's not a problem with my network.
Lastly, I googled the problem extensively and found a possible reference to having the wrong version of libtorrent as the culprit, but I have no idea if that's true or what to do about it.

So, any ideas?
thanks in advance, michael
Giuseppe

Re: Help - Search Not Working!

Post by Giuseppe »

michaelgr wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:59 pm
Sorry, couldn't check for plugin updates. Update server is temporarily unavailable. The remote server refused the connection
I also noticed an error in the execution log on startup, not sure it's related -
3/10/17 3:52 PM - Couldn't download GeoIP database file. Reason: An unknown network-related error was detected
Same problem when trying to check search plugin updates:
Search plugin update
Sorry, couldn't check for plugin updates. Update server is temporarily unavailable. An unknown network-related error was detected.
qBittorrent v4.4.3 (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 10.0.19044.1706

Have you tried using the tips listed in this thread — "Cannot install any plugins"?