Slow download to samba issue

Linux specific questions, problems.
joskapista

Slow download to samba issue

Post by joskapista »

Internet speed: 1Gb/s (tested)
(SAMBA) LAN NAS samba server speed 1Gb/s (tested)
(SERVER) (ubuntu 22.04): i7-10700T, 16GB RAM, Samsung 970Evo Plus SSD, 1Gb/s ethernet

Hello,

I have an ubuntu 22.04 server with 4.4.1-2 qbittorrent-nox installed. My problem is, that is I can download torrents to the SERVER locally with 1Gb/s speed, and I can read/write the SAMBA server with 1Gb/s too. But if I try to download torrents to the SAMBA which is mounted to the SERVER (/mnt/downloads) I get only 30MB/s speed.

I have an another computer attached to the same network (my previous, old server: i7-4790T, 16GB, 860EVO, 1Gb ethernet, ubuntu 18.04) with which I can reach easily the 1 Gb download speed to the same SAMBA server with qbittorrent-nox 4.3.3

As I think now all the setups are the same, both on samba and qbittorrent sides.
Have you any idea what is the problem? Is this a performance issue of the new version of the qbittorrent or the problem must be with the setup?
Thank you
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Slow download to samba issue

Post by unseen19 »

Hi,

Samba settings, pre-allocation on disk in QBT, and many more can be involved. I would start with QBT setting and pre-allocation if it was my setup.

Alternative: why not download locally and move complete files after to avoid depending of the share for the download? (see option in QBT)
joskapista

Post by joskapista »

Hi, thanks for the answer.
So my samba server (SAMBA) is a QNAP NAS, and I cannot change many setup there on samba. I connect and mount the share from the new SERVER and the old one the same way, so couldn't find any difference that would explain the discrepancy.
If I understand its operation correctly, the pre-allocation solution would download the file locally (1Gb/s) and after it finishes copy the file to the samba share (1Gb/s). All together 0.5Gb/s. It is better than the actual speed what I can reach now but still half speed than I used to reach.
Do you have any other tips I can use to find the source of the problem?
Thank you again
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

You should be able to manage the smb.conf with an SSH login to your QNAP NAS (vi /etc/config/smb.conf). But this is not the first move I would try.
The pre-allocation is a QBT setting and will not behave as you describe, it's one setting that was mentioned on the forum and that my be problematic.

My alternative was to change the settings in QBT to have the incomplete file (in progress) locally on the machine followed by a copy to the NAS once done. This is possible because in the options you can define this behaviour. The d/l will so occur on the local computer, then will be moved to the NAS after completion (and for seeding). This is not a solution for the issue you face to, but a workaround that may avoid it