Help Cannot Seed!

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
ChipHaven

Help Cannot Seed!

Post by ChipHaven »

Hi, I'm a new user. I used to use another torrent client with no problems until they only made a web version for the mac. Since then I have not been able to seed, when I could before. I decided to try QTorrent to see if it would work. Unfortunately, I can still only download, but not seed. I have tried with my VPN turned off to see if it was that & it wasn't that. Does anyone have any ideas? (MacOS Monterey 12.4)

Thanks in Advance
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help Cannot Seed!

Post by Peter »

To be able to seed, you must have an active port forward.
It's not as simple as it first sounds though.
ChipHaven

Post by ChipHaven »

Thanks Peter, I'm working on it now.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

I know my reply is "vague" but it varies by each setup.
Like... To be able to actively port forward, you must connect to the main router. Or, if you are behind several routers, you have to open ports through all of them. Then again, easiest if you just connect to the main router.

Then it's recommended to set a static IP on your laptop/machine and set the port forward to that in the router, and qBittorrent settings. That should be all. But each router, modem, everything is different so its super hard to write like a step-by-step instruction here.

There is a site with some guides here: https://portforward.com
You can also find a guide in your modem's handbook/manual.

Btw VPN will kill port forwarding.
But if you seed, your IP will be exposed, so if you can get p2p letters, I just recommend forgetting about all of this and then just renting a cheap seedbox. There are many services out there, I'd say https://pulsedmedia.com is not so bad. It's not great, but cheap, so like good value-price. Again, people can bite each other arguing about which provider is best, so pick your choice.
ChipHaven

Post by ChipHaven »

Thanks again Peter. I'll check it out