How does binding to a VPN work?

Windows specific questions, problems.
kiwichick888

How does binding to a VPN work?

Post by kiwichick888 »

My VPN is Surfshark and I've just used the Network Interface option in qBT to bind to it (SurfsharkWireguard) but I'm confused about how binding works. I thought that if my VPN connection dropped, qBittorrent would immediately stop downloading ie: pause all active downloads. But it seems that it doesn't work like that - at least, that's not what's happening for me. The download speed just gradually decreases until it's 1B/s with the downloads still being active and, technically, still downloading. So, is this what's meant to happen?
slimedog

Re: How does binding to a VPN work?

Post by slimedog »

I am not seeing a lot of answers here. I too have questions about surfshark and binding addresses. When I select Options->Advanced and select addresses to bind to I don't see any Surfshark addresses. Do you?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

kiwichick888 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:02 am ... The download speed just gradually decreases until it's 1B/s with the downloads still being active and, technically, still downloading. So, is this what's meant to happen?
It's just how stats are updated. qBittorrent TRIES it's best to finish all traffic that was happening (like sending trackers the updated data count), but the interface is gone. It can sense speeds are dropping, etc. Anyway. It's just a display thing. The software cannot transmit any more packets, once you kill the whole interface (VPN). That's how binding works.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

slimedog wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:33 pm I am not seeing a lot of answers here. I too have questions about surfshark and binding addresses. When I select Options->Advanced and select addresses to bind to I don't see any Surfshark addresses. Do you?
You can only see it, if the VPN creates a new network interface on your computer. Some providers offer you a variety of ways to connect. Some VPN methods will install a new adapter, some won't.