why "qBittorrent cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified" ?

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
NJgBy1jBK

why "qBittorrent cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified" ?

Post by NJgBy1jBK »

hello
why i got this message when opening qBittorrent ?
monterey 12.6
i don't have this message with transmission and deluge.

some thoughts :

1. takes time for a software to be verified
2. takes money for a software to be verified
3. qBittorrent admin(s)/creator(s) are not in agreement with apple's way about verifying developers
4. it contains a virus

if it's 1or2or3 please give explanations/info
NJgBy1jBK

Re: why "qBittorrent cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified" ?

Post by NJgBy1jBK »

qBittorrent Mac OS X (RC_2_0) 4.4.5
Fuga
Veteran
Veteran

Re: why "qBittorrent cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified" ?

Post by Fuga »

Go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy and choose the General tab. Look at the bottom section and see where it says 'Allow apps downloaded from.
You should see qBittorrent in faded type and something about 'open anyway'. Sorry, as I don't currently have an app in that situation I'm not sure exactly what it says but you should be able to take it from there.
NJgBy1jBK

Post by NJgBy1jBK »

Fuga wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:25 am Go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy and choose the General tab. Look at the bottom section and see where it says 'Allow apps downloaded from.
You should see qBittorrent in faded type and something about 'open anyway'. Sorry, as I don't currently have an app in that situation I'm not sure exactly what it says but you should be able to take it from there.
you don't answer the question
Fuga
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Fuga »

You are correct. And not. I answered the question as posed in the thread topic.
NJgBy1jBK

Post by NJgBy1jBK »

Fuga wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:18 pm You are correct. And not. I answered the question as posed in the thread topic.
i'm sorry for not being polite replying to your message
i would like to know why i get this message, not how to bypass it

i mean why i get it with qBittorrent but not with deluge/transmission...
Fuga
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Fuga »

I agree! While I've gotten that message with all sorts of applications (i.e. it's not just a torrent app thing), and while I've always assumed it was something to do with the developer's relationship with Apple, I'd sure like to know exactly why/how.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

NJgBy1jBK wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:35 pm hello
why i got this message when opening qBittorrent ?
monterey 12.6
i don't have this message with transmission and deluge.

some thoughts :

1. takes time for a software to be verified
2. takes money for a software to be verified
3. qBittorrent admin(s)/creator(s) are not in agreement with apple's way about verifying developers
4. it contains a virus

if it's 1or2or3 please give explanations/info
It's just 1 and 2.

1. It's not only time, but expertise too. Someone well-versed in the Apple developer world would need to mess with the signing of each release, or come up with a good reproducible way that devs can use to release later.
2. You need two things. First you need to sign the binaries. Which basically means you need to purchase a certificate (a pricey one) and then sign the binary files with that. This is kind of a safeguard. It means the binary files, like the qBittorrent executable file has not been messed with. So it's not a stupid thing by any means, it's just expensive. And on top of that, Apple requires developers to pay the yearly developer fee as well, to be able to publish software.

Maybe one day. Until then, please use the workarounds posted by the users.
(See just in this thread, and viewtopic.php?t=4822 .)

Ps.: Signing binary files is not a 100% protection at all. You can easily verify if qBittorrent is "legit", by checking the PGP signature + hash values, found here: https://www.qbittorrent.org/download.php . It's a bit technical, but it provides techie people a way to double-check things, just in case. We also run proven, up-to-date, hardened stack on our servers, so a breach would be a very hard trick to pull off. Everyone from the team tries their best to safeguard the users.
Redman12at2

Post by Redman12at2 »

Not real hard to do. It only took me about 20 years of playing around with various macs to realize that (control-click) is same as (rt-click) on a windoze machine, and that's how you get to the 'shortcut' menus. Went around for weeks ctrl-clicking on everything in sight. Try this >

Open an app by overriding security settings.

- You can open an app that isn’t allowed to open by manually overriding the settings in Security & Privacy preferences.
- Control-click the app icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu.
- Click Open.

The app is saved as an exception to your security settings, and you can open it in the future by double-clicking it, just as you can any authorized app.

have fun!
Rodney