Lots of errors once 1000 or more files seeding

Windows specific questions, problems.
Shown3744

Lots of errors once 1000 or more files seeding

Post by Shown3744 »

Does anyone have any tips for seeding over 1000 files without repeatedly getting errors? The errors in the log usually indicate that a file can't be read (file is still there) so I'm guessing I'm hitting timeouts - is there any way to increase the timeouts or the number of tries to read a file?

As long as I stay below around 1000 files this never happens. I'm running 4.4.5 64bit QT version. Windows 10 21H2. Plenty of RAM (over 60GB).
dfgf5455

Re: Lots of errors once 1000 or more files seeding

Post by dfgf5455 »

Global maximum number of upload slots should be something that is reasonable for the file drive. Set the limit to for example 5 if it is a hard disk. Set Upload slots behavior to Upload rate based, and Upload choking algorithm to Fastest upload in advanced options.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

dfgf5455 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:43 am Global maximum number of upload slots should be something that is reasonable for the file drive. Set the limit to for example 5 if it is a hard disk. Set Upload slots behavior to Upload rate based, and Upload choking algorithm to Fastest upload in advanced options.
But you can use torrent queuing to limit active torrents (seeded too!). Only the user knows, how many their system can handle. You could have a 4-6-8 drive array driven by a RAID controller, showing up as a single drive, and it'd be perfectly capable of handling this, and much more. So the program cannot really guess your storage. Also, 1000 torrents is really a rare use case.
Shown3744

Post by Shown3744 »

Will try torrent queue. Spin drives are so much cheaper that I may have gone overboard. Thanks!
Shown3744

Post by Shown3744 »

dfgf5455 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:43 am Global maximum number of upload slots should be something that is reasonable for the file drive. Set the limit to for example 5 if it is a hard disk. Set Upload slots behavior to Upload rate based, and Upload choking algorithm to Fastest upload in advanced options.
Will give that a try. I think the default is 4 - when I have that checked have not gotten these errors in the past. If torrent queuing doesn't work will try this. Thanks!
Shown3744

Post by Shown3744 »

Peter wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:21 am
But you can use torrent queuing to limit active torrents (seeded too!). Only the user knows, how many their system can handle. You could have a 4-6-8 drive array driven by a RAID controller, showing up as a single drive, and it'd be perfectly capable of handling this, and much more. So the program cannot really guess your storage. Also, 1000 torrents is really a rare use case.
minor update: errors have mostly disappeared. Switched from fastresume files to the sqllite database. Using the default connection limits (500/100/20/4 global/max per torrent/max upload slots/max upload slots per torrent). Still occasionally get hiccups while watching and seeding at the same time - will go with your suggestion and RAID0 a spin drive. Also, it's all running in a hyper-v vm.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Interesting. Still it should not time out. Could be hyper-v? Hmm.

Can always try other virtualization methods I suppose. Virtualbox is completely free for example. Though I only use it for dev purposes and not for 24-7 download/upload stuff.

You can also think about using cache. I use PrimoCache, you can download and try it for 30 days, no registration, no fuss involved. It's also very, very cheap and it is such a superb software I LOVE IT. It's that good.

- It can use SSDs to speed up mechanical drives
- You can set how much of an SSD you want for write/read cache
- You can dedicate X amount of RAM to a drive to have a dedicated cache
- You can enable delayed writes which makes writes insanely fast BUT you risk data loss, if a power loss, or blue screen of death happens. I do use this, I bought a super cheap UPS and it works great. Not because of this, the grayouts in my area killed my OS too at times and I didn't want to risk any of my equipment. And the UPS was really really cheap and it comes with replaceable, cheap batteries. (it's nJoy brand)

And yeah, Windows already does caching but it's so bad. Like if I were to download something or do any kind of bigger IO, my PC would slow to a crawl. Now? Nothing.
Shown3744

Post by Shown3744 »

Peter wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:28 am Interesting. Still it should not time out. Could be hyper-v? Hmm.

Can always try other virtualization methods I suppose. Virtualbox is completely free for example. Though I only use it for dev purposes and not for 24-7 download/upload stuff.

You can also think about using cache. I use PrimoCache, you can download and try it for 30 days, no registration, no fuss involved. It's also very, very cheap and it is such a superb software I LOVE IT. It's that good.

- It can use SSDs to speed up mechanical drives
- You can set how much of an SSD you want for write/read cache
- You can dedicate X amount of RAM to a drive to have a dedicated cache
- You can enable delayed writes which makes writes insanely fast BUT you risk data loss, if a power loss, or blue screen of death happens. I do use this, I bought a super cheap UPS and it works great. Not because of this, the grayouts in my area killed my OS too at times and I didn't want to risk any of my equipment. And the UPS was really really cheap and it comes with replaceable, cheap batteries. (it's nJoy brand)

And yeah, Windows already does caching but it's so bad. Like if I were to download something or do any kind of bigger IO, my PC would slow to a crawl. Now? Nothing.
yeah hyper-v kinda sucks. slow as all get out. Gotta get VirtualBox going. PrimoCache eh? will check it out. Will turn on delayed writes - got an el-cheapo UPS too lol (power goes out at least once a month). Thanks!