update/upgrade broke qBittorrent

Linux specific questions, problems.
DoctorDick

update/upgrade broke qBittorrent

Post by DoctorDick »

$ uname -a
Linux mxpansive 6.0.0-10.1-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC liquorix 6.0-6~mx21+1 (2022-11-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux

It's just Debian, without systemd.

My qBittorrent upgrade came via this repository - http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... Debian_11/

Yes, it's Qbittorrent Enhanced Edition v4.5.0.10 (64 bit), so I didn't really want to ask for support on the official qBittorrent forum.

The problem was, qBittorrent would start up, and start seeding at speeds that I was accustomed to, over the past few months. Then, it would get slower, and slower, and slower, until I wasn't uploading anything at all. Thinking that something was broken, I downgraded to the previous version. Same problem, so I uninstalled and reinstalled that previous version. That didn't work, so I uninstalled, then installed qBittorrent from the official repositories. Still no good.

Go to DuckDuckGo, and start searching. There is little to find on the internet regarding qBittorrent and speed. During my searches, this color blind old man realized there was a red icon at the bottom of the client window. Hovering over the icon, I learned that "qbittorrent status: offline"

So, I put that search term into Duckduckgo, and found this reddit discussion - https://www.reddit.com/r/qBittorrent/co ... s_offline/
Pokey212
·
2 yr. ago
That didn't work for me. Changing settings/advanced/network interface to the one for my VPN, versus "any interface" got it working.
Oh, wow. I did what Pokey said to do, and magically, that red icon turned orange, then green. My seeds started seeding at the speeds I had grown accustomed to.

Since I'm not a coder, I have no idea why or how the upgrade broke my installation. The problem could be with qBittorrent, or it could be on github, where the Enhanced Edition is maintained, or the problem could be with the OpenSuse repository. But, similar things seem to have happened in the past, or my searches wouldn't have led me to the solution.

I hope I've saved someone some headache by posting what I've found.