Client disappearing on Windows 11

Windows specific questions, problems.
Beast600

Client disappearing on Windows 11

Post by Beast600 »

Hello,

Every time I install the QB client on Windows 11, it’s uninstalled without any notification. I use Norton 360 for antivirus. Norton’s security history shows no signs of removing files. I also have the programs whitelisted in Norton. Windows Defender is also disabled due to Norton.

I don’t know what to do. Is anyone else having this problem with Windows?
Beast600

Re: Client disappearing on Windows 11

Post by Beast600 »

I seem to have fixed it by running PowerShell as an admin, then using the command "Set-MpPreference -PUAProtection disabled." After a system restart, QB stopped disappearing. It seems as though Windows Defender/Security will automatically remove PAU's and PUP's from the system without notifying the user, even if these settings are supposed to be managed by a third party virus protection program.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Client disappearing on Windows 11

Post by Peter »

Yeah Windows loves tagging qBittorrent as "PUA". PUA is the first thing I disable on every Windows 10 and 11 machines I manage because it's just pure garbage. Even if it's enabled, search engines and other junk WILL install just fine. But when I want to download a utility, or qBittorrent, it suddenly decides to do some work. It's just garbage, no other words for it unfortunately.

Since people often ask:

- Why?
Because Defender's PUA detection is garbage. There is no excuse to just mark an open-source bittorrent software as PUA. A software that does not even display ads, does not have any kind of "payload", etc. It's literally just an application that simply resides on the user's PC unless they explicitly start downloading stuff. Otherwise Defender is good, only their PUA detection is useless.

- Can the devs fix this?
It'd take a lot of money (and quite some time) unfortunately. The files would need to be digitally signed and "code signing" is not cheap. On top of that, some person has to manage the signing, set up the process, etc. It's just not very hassle free unfortunately.