What am I doing wrong, 2000 seeds only 9 connections?

Windows specific questions, problems.
mushu

What am I doing wrong, 2000 seeds only 9 connections?

Post by mushu »

qBitTorrent 4.5.0 (64bit) on Windows 10

Is this normal or do I have something wrong in my settings or network? See screenshot for context. I have unlimited cap in settings for upload/download and the connection plug at the bottom is green. Why are there only 9 peers that I'm downloading from out of 2000? Even DHT shows over 300 nodes. Is this simply how the system works and I need to be happy I get anything (lol)?

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (64.46 KiB) Viewed 3566 times
Pepita

Re: What am I doing wrong, 2000 seeds only 9 connections?

Post by Pepita »

port forwarding :o ::)
mushu

Post by mushu »

Pepita wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:25 pm port forwarding :o ::)
Yes, I am port forwarding in my router. If I wasn't then it wouldn't be working, right? I also opened the port in my firewall, and again, it wouldn't work if I didn't have that. There is something I simply don't know about how this works I think because on the surface what I'm seeing is not logical. I'm guessing the vast majority of users simply don't care as long as they get their stuff...

/sad
ItWasSooted

Post by ItWasSooted »

Options > Connection > Connection Limits. What are these numbers?
mushu

Post by mushu »

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (31.68 KiB) Viewed 3303 times
ItWasSooted

Post by ItWasSooted »

On the trackers tab on the main screen (bottom left). Confirm that the number of seeds and peers match the numbers of seeds and peers in brackets on the main screen.

This had been a bug for a long time, but was supposedly fixed in v4.5.0.
HaldorD

Post by HaldorD »

Have you checked what port is registered at the tracker(s)? I have a similar problem that you have (not connectable) and discovered that the port i am using in both the qBittorrent client and in the router is registered as +1 that number at the tracker for some reason.

EXAMPLE:
Port used in client and router - 12345
Port registered at tracker - 12346
mushu

Post by mushu »

HaldorD wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:28 pm Have you checked what port is registered at the tracker(s)? I have a similar problem that you have (not connectable) and discovered that the port i am using in both the qBittorrent client and in the router is registered as +1 that number at the tracker for some reason.

EXAMPLE:
Port used in client and router - 12345
Port registered at tracker - 12346
I haven't researched how the torrent protocol uses ports internally but is it possible that that is by design, kind of like how FTP is "port 21" but also uses "port 20" for data internally?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

This is not a good swarm.

Peers are NOT seeds. Yes in theory everyone should seed but it's never like that. This looks like a public torrent swarm, or a fresh torrent on a private tracker. Meaning the seeders are pretty saturated. Each peer only has a set amount of upload speed, and upload slots. If those are taken, you simply won't connect to them.

There are other things too. They might not be able to connect to you for whatever reason (peerblock, ISP blocking your subnet, you blocking them, etc.)

HaldorD: that is very, very interesting. Are you sure about that? Most trackers don't show your IP/port for privacy reasons (if the tracker gets hijacked/hacked/taken down, they literally have everyone's data then.) You can check listen ports with this little tool: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html