Apple Silicon

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
DCDA

Apple Silicon

Post by DCDA »

Hi guys, I really like QBtorrent it's definitely one of the best mac torrent clients. I was just wondering if (and hoping) you have plans to release a build for apple silicon?

Thanks!
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Apple Silicon

Post by Peter »

Great question. Unfortunately, I have no clue who is in charge of the MAC build or bugs or issues. As far as I am aware, the project is in need of more Mac/Apple devs, but they are hard to find. Emulating OS X has been a major pain in recent years as well, so it's not easy to just run a virtual machine to figure out issues either.
stlouiscpht

Post by stlouiscpht »

I'm not the one handling the macOS builds, but I did want to give my two cents on the subject.

Honestly, I don't think there really is a need for an Apple Silicon build. qBittorrent has the same performance under Rosetta 2 translation as it does natively on an Intel Mac, so AS native will not be much of an improvement. I'm not even sure making a Universal Build variant would be worth the time for the same reasons. Once Apple has completely phased out the Intel based Macs & Intel based macOS, it would need to be updated but that is still 1-2 years away.

That said, I'll probably look at the source myself and see if I can get it to build natively on my M1 MacBook Pro.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

I mean, I am fairly sure a native build would give some boost in terms of performance. (especially the libtorrent part.)
Just wish it wasn't like 5000$ to rent a cheap OS X VPS/Mini online lol.
Fuga
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Fuga »

Two years now?!

I do understand needing to get your hands on a suitable machine. But 2 years?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Fuga wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:26 pm Two years now?!

I do understand needing to get your hands on a suitable machine. But 2 years?
Oh no, it's not because of the machine. Even the project website tells you: https://www.qbittorrent.org/download.php

"The macOS version is not well supported, because we don't have active macOS developers/contributors.
The project is in need of macOS developers. If you are a macOS developer willing to help, just go to our bug tracker for a list of macOS related issues. Or try to fix bugs that you yourself have discovered and annoy you. "

So if that sounds like you, wait no more!

Ps.: The AppStore would also require a developer license from Apple.
Fuga
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Fuga »

Yeah. No developer here. I do appreciate your replying. I had thought it was lack of an environment as much as lack of Mac developer talent.

You and I worked in the past on my issue - qBittorrent bogging down as it nears 1,000 torrents. I thought it was fixed but no. So I gave up but keep hope alive, checking here daily.